feminista

Feminista

Hi everyone! I used to be a former Goodreads lover. Who has decided to move to BookLikes due to the recent changes to the GR site: that is, the decision of the management to delete reviews that talk about bad author behaviour.

It is important that we know of bad author behaviour and actions. We buy their books. I want to know whether Author A has decided to harass Reviewer A or encouraged fans to stalk Reviewer B.

I want to know this, the same way I wanted to know that a well known sporting good company had been using child labour in the production of some of its products. The same way the WHOLE WORLD wanted to know.

It is irrelevant that the author writes well, or that the said sporting good company produces good quality sporting goods. Our ethics and morals MATTER!

Now to discuss my reading habits:

I am very picky when it comes to books. I am a feminist and I think that shows in my reading list.

There are many things that bug me to death. But I'll always make an exception if the boy-girl standard is reversed. Dear world, that is MY double standard. I respect and champion authors who have the guts to do something different.

Firstly, I hate infidelity in novels.

Secondly, I hate it when the heroine is a virgin and the guy is an expert and skilled lover. I hate it when the heroine, for fated reasons, saves herself for someone who has been sowing his oats. It's not only overdone, old-fashioned and pathetic, but it also grosses me out like he is violating something so sacrosanct.

Thirdly, I might enjoy the occasional alpha-hero tendencies, but my true love lies with beta-heroes. Guys who are loving and sweet. Who don't feel the need to push around their women to make themselves feel more manly.

Feminista's bookshelf: read

Death, and the Girl He Loves
tagged: ya-and-new-adult and urban-fantasy
The Loneliest Alpha
Hard to Handle
2 of 5 stars
Rating: 2 out of 5. Sadie Howard is a serial dater who never goes out with a guy on more than one date, but then sometimes she breaks her rules... Aiden Downey found out that his mother was dying and even though he was in a relationship...
tagged: contemporary-romance and arc
Mine to Hold
3 of 5 stars
Rating: 3 out of 5. Claire Kramer from Mine to Keep has been a victim of an obsessed lover in the past. It is also a past that she can’t seem to get away from. Noah York, from the previous books, is Trace’s friend. He was a part of those...
tagged: arc and romantic-suspense
The Care and Feeding of Stray Vampires
Rating: 3.5 out of 5.
Alpha Instinct
3 of 5 stars
Rating: 3 out of 5. I have been wanting to read this book for ages. But I had the wrong idea in mind. I thought it was an Urban Fantasy novel. Probably because of the cover of a female. But it is a paranormal romance. As far as parano...
Never Love a Cowboy
tagged: historical-romance

goodreads.com

Feminista's quotes

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Feminista has completed her goal of reading 200 books in 2013!
hide
Just Perfect - Julie Ortolon Just Perfect is the most perfect contemporary romance book in the 21st century. This was a simple, good to read romance. Something that's in rare commodity these days. I felt good after reading this novel. The plot was beautiful in its simplicity and also the love that was fostered between Alec and Christine was real, sweet and innocent. The book was also funny, making it an enjoyable read. Thank god the angst was limited to the last few pages, but even then you knew that they loved one another very much. Alec is a guy who loves with no boundaries. Christine, once you break down her walls, is a girl who can return the love that a guy like Alec deserves.So overall, what I liked about this book was:1. The love between Alec and Chris was just about unconditional by the end of the book.2. Alec: sheesh, who doesn't love a guy who is smitten. And man, was he smitten with Chris. It was so sweet watching him trying to score dates with her at first. And his child-like enthusiasm. I am in love.3. There were no plots or sub-plots with regards to infidelity. Thank God. I think this must be the only romance novel to say so.4. Humour. It was funny. A lot of authors overlook this and some just go straight to angst and hard-loving. So while I might also give those novel some 4-5 stars, they don't make me feel good about myself at the end. But this one did.5. No freaking alpha males. Yes... I for one have gotten sick and tired of men who act all alpha and women (characters in novels and women who read those novels) who throw themselves at men who act like that. Yes, once in a while men who are alpha are sexy but there is a balance between over-bearing and being realistic. But not many authors keep that balance. So the end result is the words alpha male leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth. Those men, if I saw them in real life, I wouldn't even glance at them twice. Muscle-bound bodies can only get you so far, if your personality is pitiful.Alec was realistic. There were times when he dominated, like in the bedroom, but thank God it was not all the time. He is the sort of guy I'd dream about spending the rest of my life with. Sweet, funny, sexy and not at all afraid to throw himself head first in things/people he is passionate about. Actually he is probably a beta-male, if we get technical about it. And I LOVE beta-males.