feminista

Feminista

Hi everyone! I used to be a former Goodreads lover. Who has decided to move to BookLikes due to the recent changes to the GR site: that is, the decision of the management to delete reviews that talk about bad author behaviour.

It is important that we know of bad author behaviour and actions. We buy their books. I want to know whether Author A has decided to harass Reviewer A or encouraged fans to stalk Reviewer B.

I want to know this, the same way I wanted to know that a well known sporting good company had been using child labour in the production of some of its products. The same way the WHOLE WORLD wanted to know.

It is irrelevant that the author writes well, or that the said sporting good company produces good quality sporting goods. Our ethics and morals MATTER!

Now to discuss my reading habits:

I am very picky when it comes to books. I am a feminist and I think that shows in my reading list.

There are many things that bug me to death. But I'll always make an exception if the boy-girl standard is reversed. Dear world, that is MY double standard. I respect and champion authors who have the guts to do something different.

Firstly, I hate infidelity in novels.

Secondly, I hate it when the heroine is a virgin and the guy is an expert and skilled lover. I hate it when the heroine, for fated reasons, saves herself for someone who has been sowing his oats. It's not only overdone, old-fashioned and pathetic, but it also grosses me out like he is violating something so sacrosanct.

Thirdly, I might enjoy the occasional alpha-hero tendencies, but my true love lies with beta-heroes. Guys who are loving and sweet. Who don't feel the need to push around their women to make themselves feel more manly.

Feminista's bookshelf: read

Death, and the Girl He Loves
tagged: ya-and-new-adult and urban-fantasy
The Loneliest Alpha
Hard to Handle
2 of 5 stars
Rating: 2 out of 5. Sadie Howard is a serial dater who never goes out with a guy on more than one date, but then sometimes she breaks her rules... Aiden Downey found out that his mother was dying and even though he was in a relationship...
tagged: contemporary-romance and arc
Mine to Hold
3 of 5 stars
Rating: 3 out of 5. Claire Kramer from Mine to Keep has been a victim of an obsessed lover in the past. It is also a past that she can’t seem to get away from. Noah York, from the previous books, is Trace’s friend. He was a part of those...
tagged: arc and romantic-suspense
The Care and Feeding of Stray Vampires
Rating: 3.5 out of 5.
Alpha Instinct
3 of 5 stars
Rating: 3 out of 5. I have been wanting to read this book for ages. But I had the wrong idea in mind. I thought it was an Urban Fantasy novel. Probably because of the cover of a female. But it is a paranormal romance. As far as parano...
Never Love a Cowboy
tagged: historical-romance

goodreads.com

Feminista's quotes

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Feminista has completed her goal of reading 200 books in 2013!
hide
The Stranger - Kyra Davis Rating: 3 out of 5Just One Night by Kyra DavisKasie was the perfect daughter, girlfriend and employee, until the one night in Vegas when she sleeps with a stranger. The secret that was supposed to be left in Vegas follows her to her home. Asked specially to manage a big project for a billionaire, she soon realises it that the billionaire is the man she slept with. As they start an affair too close to home, it brings a sense of suspense to the novel.When I first started this novel, I understood I was going to be reading about a woman with a comfortable life, cheating on her comfortable boyfriend. It was. I also understood that the boyfriend would be oblivious to the desires of the protagonist which is what makes her want to act out like a child. Which she does.I didn’t expect to feel this much pity for the boyfriend. I would have felt it a little bit either way, because I abhor cheating. But then I thought, if she does it and breaks it off with him, then it might be a bit bearable. But she doesn’t. She lies and deceives and allows their relationship to continue. He makes her promises for the future, she accepts them. All for a guy that she met in Vegas, whom I didn’t even feel that she felt anything substantial for. I couldn’t feel it between Kasia and Robert. I also felt indifferent to Robert. More like, oh, he exists, that’s good. That was the theme for the whole novel. I felt emotionally detached from the characters. Usually when there is angst, I get right into it, screaming and cursing at the characters, trying to make them do things which I think is right. Here, I was sort of eating popcorns with one hard and scrolling down with the other, with one eye on the screen and the other out the window.I have to say though, kudos to Kasie for managing to keep up her professionalism in face of his blatant desire, the first time they meet after Las Vegas. Kudos to her for attempting to push him away initially, but when she falls again, it was bit of a I-don’t-understand-why-you-felt-the-need-to-do-that moment.ARC courtesy of NetGalley and Gallery, Threshold, Pocket Books.