feminista

Feminista

Hi everyone! I used to be a former Goodreads lover. Who has decided to move to BookLikes due to the recent changes to the GR site: that is, the decision of the management to delete reviews that talk about bad author behaviour.

It is important that we know of bad author behaviour and actions. We buy their books. I want to know whether Author A has decided to harass Reviewer A or encouraged fans to stalk Reviewer B.

I want to know this, the same way I wanted to know that a well known sporting good company had been using child labour in the production of some of its products. The same way the WHOLE WORLD wanted to know.

It is irrelevant that the author writes well, or that the said sporting good company produces good quality sporting goods. Our ethics and morals MATTER!

Now to discuss my reading habits:

I am very picky when it comes to books. I am a feminist and I think that shows in my reading list.

There are many things that bug me to death. But I'll always make an exception if the boy-girl standard is reversed. Dear world, that is MY double standard. I respect and champion authors who have the guts to do something different.

Firstly, I hate infidelity in novels.

Secondly, I hate it when the heroine is a virgin and the guy is an expert and skilled lover. I hate it when the heroine, for fated reasons, saves herself for someone who has been sowing his oats. It's not only overdone, old-fashioned and pathetic, but it also grosses me out like he is violating something so sacrosanct.

Thirdly, I might enjoy the occasional alpha-hero tendencies, but my true love lies with beta-heroes. Guys who are loving and sweet. Who don't feel the need to push around their women to make themselves feel more manly.

Feminista's bookshelf: read

Death, and the Girl He Loves
tagged: ya-and-new-adult and urban-fantasy
The Loneliest Alpha
Hard to Handle
2 of 5 stars
Rating: 2 out of 5. Sadie Howard is a serial dater who never goes out with a guy on more than one date, but then sometimes she breaks her rules... Aiden Downey found out that his mother was dying and even though he was in a relationship...
tagged: contemporary-romance and arc
Mine to Hold
3 of 5 stars
Rating: 3 out of 5. Claire Kramer from Mine to Keep has been a victim of an obsessed lover in the past. It is also a past that she can’t seem to get away from. Noah York, from the previous books, is Trace’s friend. He was a part of those...
tagged: arc and romantic-suspense
The Care and Feeding of Stray Vampires
Rating: 3.5 out of 5.
Alpha Instinct
3 of 5 stars
Rating: 3 out of 5. I have been wanting to read this book for ages. But I had the wrong idea in mind. I thought it was an Urban Fantasy novel. Probably because of the cover of a female. But it is a paranormal romance. As far as parano...
Never Love a Cowboy
tagged: historical-romance

goodreads.com

Feminista's quotes

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Feminista has completed her goal of reading 200 books in 2013!
hide
In The Stillness - Andrea Randall Rating: 4.5 out of 5.UNBELIEVABLE, EXPLOSIVE, WHAT-THE-HELL-WAS-THAT :OThe blurb does not do this book any justice. The only reason I picked this book up was because it was different from the plethora of all the other contemporary romance novels I could pick from. And it blew my mind.This book is honest, Natalie is honest. This book is messed up, Natalie is messed up. The heroine drives this book. I can see why it might be hard to relate to the heroine. But if you don't like the heroine, then you probably won't like the book either. Natalie is a mother of two twin boys and a husband. Bitter as a stay-at-home-mum, she sees her dreams of getting a PhD crumbling around her. Not only that, Natalie has a past that she has never forgotten.Because Natalie knew love. Not the kind she has with her husband, but the all-consuming type where you would sacrifice your own well-being for another. The things that I LOVED about this are countless. But I'll try and list a few• This novel is realistic. It isn't some fluffy romance novel.• The emotions that Natalie felt, I could feel them. Some of her actions, I could imagine making them - although not all of her actions.• This book had so many layers to it. It's a bit like peeling an onion. Because that's what a real person's life is like. We don't just sit there and spend all our life obsessing over a guy. We have things to do, lives to lead, relationships to make and break. Life goes on. • I loved all the secondary characters. Fathers, her twin sons, her friends, hell even the bartender and the three post-middle-aged-men who sit there listening to her drunken story, wide-eyed, in the second part of the story :)• I loved how brutally honest Natalie was to herself and to others. For example, it must have been hard to admit that there was a time when she didn't wish she have children. She at least acknowledges it, and thinks, that it's not so true now. She is honest to herself and that is the first step to respecting and loving oneself again. • And lastly, inner-fan-girl-scream! I love Ryker. He is so beautiful and sexy and sweet and honest and tortured and gah.. just will you marry me? XDWhat I didn't love so much - It wasn't so much the novel, as it was my annoyance with other CRs who have this repeated theme:- I didn't like how the husband was cheating on her. It's such a common theme and I understand that it made her later decisions easier for her to make, but I didn't like it, because to me it seemed like an easy way to keep her from independently breaking off her relationship with him.Okay major spoilers ahead.Please, please don’t read it if you haven't read the book and are planning on reading it. It's just a bit of my feminist rant because I LOVED the way the author handled some situations. Plus, the next part is MY OPINION on it, and the way I perceive these issues.Okay firstly. I hated the way Natalie treated Eric. the constant fights. Yes I get that she was bitter about everything, and she had good reason, but seriously it was too much.And no, finding out that he was cheating doesn't absolve her of her actions and words…Nor am I going to excuse him for his adultery and deceit because she has been bitter and bitchy for some time. There is no excuse for adultery… No. The blame lies solely on the doer.Now to that cheating S.O.B. I loved the way she handled the shock of seeing him there with the other woman. I loved that she didn’t look at the other woman but just looked at him, because she doesn’t know the other woman from Eve and it wasn’t about who the OW was or what she looked like, or how many degrees the OW had or whatever the hell some heroines in other novels do as they start to compare themselves to the OW. The adultery and cheating was ABOUT HIM. It was about how he broke his vows TO HER. The OW doesn’t owe her anything. It’s her husband that married her. I also loved how she realised that no matter how long it was going on, it didn’t matter on her decision to leave him. What mattered was that he did cheat on her. Other heroines in other books, at this point, start to obsess over how long their partners were cheating, and they start to think what you have done wrong at that point in past and blame themselves for it, because it is the starting point for his cheating ways. I don’t like that. Nor does it absolve him of his wrongdoing just because it was his fifth time instead of his 100th? The fact is he is a cheater, regardless of whether he has been cheating for a day or for a year. I also love how she doesn’t take him for his words. It appals me how some heroines in other books believe their husband (whether they say the truth or not) when their husband says, oh no, I have never had sex with her before or, oh no, this has only been going on since last Thursday. It’s like, get a brain, you caught his lying, deceiving self in an adulterous act, and you are going to take his word for it? I mean seriously, you can’t be that gullible. Of course, on the other hand, asking questions like how long it went on can be a way to make yourself feel better that you didn’t have to put up with his cheating ass for a long time, or make you feel worse when you realise you did put up with his cheating ass for a long time. >.>AND I LOVE IT, when she says, if you have issues, just “man up and leave before you start screwing someone else”. That is so true! If your marriage is falling apart, if you are having issues with your partner such that you are thinking of cheating on him/her with someone else, grab your bag and LEAVE first. Don’t cheat on a person, it is a horrible thing to do!