feminista

Feminista

Hi everyone! I used to be a former Goodreads lover. Who has decided to move to BookLikes due to the recent changes to the GR site: that is, the decision of the management to delete reviews that talk about bad author behaviour.

It is important that we know of bad author behaviour and actions. We buy their books. I want to know whether Author A has decided to harass Reviewer A or encouraged fans to stalk Reviewer B.

I want to know this, the same way I wanted to know that a well known sporting good company had been using child labour in the production of some of its products. The same way the WHOLE WORLD wanted to know.

It is irrelevant that the author writes well, or that the said sporting good company produces good quality sporting goods. Our ethics and morals MATTER!

Now to discuss my reading habits:

I am very picky when it comes to books. I am a feminist and I think that shows in my reading list.

There are many things that bug me to death. But I'll always make an exception if the boy-girl standard is reversed. Dear world, that is MY double standard. I respect and champion authors who have the guts to do something different.

Firstly, I hate infidelity in novels.

Secondly, I hate it when the heroine is a virgin and the guy is an expert and skilled lover. I hate it when the heroine, for fated reasons, saves herself for someone who has been sowing his oats. It's not only overdone, old-fashioned and pathetic, but it also grosses me out like he is violating something so sacrosanct.

Thirdly, I might enjoy the occasional alpha-hero tendencies, but my true love lies with beta-heroes. Guys who are loving and sweet. Who don't feel the need to push around their women to make themselves feel more manly.

Feminista's bookshelf: read

Death, and the Girl He Loves
tagged: ya-and-new-adult and urban-fantasy
The Loneliest Alpha
Hard to Handle
2 of 5 stars
Rating: 2 out of 5. Sadie Howard is a serial dater who never goes out with a guy on more than one date, but then sometimes she breaks her rules... Aiden Downey found out that his mother was dying and even though he was in a relationship...
tagged: contemporary-romance and arc
Mine to Hold
3 of 5 stars
Rating: 3 out of 5. Claire Kramer from Mine to Keep has been a victim of an obsessed lover in the past. It is also a past that she can’t seem to get away from. Noah York, from the previous books, is Trace’s friend. He was a part of those...
tagged: arc and romantic-suspense
The Care and Feeding of Stray Vampires
Rating: 3.5 out of 5.
Alpha Instinct
3 of 5 stars
Rating: 3 out of 5. I have been wanting to read this book for ages. But I had the wrong idea in mind. I thought it was an Urban Fantasy novel. Probably because of the cover of a female. But it is a paranormal romance. As far as parano...
Never Love a Cowboy
tagged: historical-romance

goodreads.com

Feminista's quotes

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Feminista has completed her goal of reading 200 books in 2013!
hide

Deadly Sting (Elemental Assassin)

Deadly Sting - Jennifer Estep Rating: 3 out of 5.My heart is heavy while I write this. Jennifer Estep’s Elemental Assassin series used to be one of the best urban fantasy series I had ever read. Up to and including Book 5, the author could do nothing wrong. I loved her writing, I loved her plots, I loved the setting of the story and most of all I used to love her characters. While I still love the first three aspects of her books, I have been losing respect for her characters. First it was with Gin in Book 6 and her old flame. I didn’t like how she acted and kept things from Owen. But I got over it because she left her ex behind irrevocably. The next two books in the series have been devastating. Because I have just lost and lost any love and respect I felt for Owen.I am disappointed in Owen. He realises how much he misses her when he thinks she might be dead. That just wasn’t good enough. It makes me doubt every sweet word, every promise he has ever made to her. A chance event like that shouldn’t be a major turning point for character’s emotions in a book. Because if it is, then it makes anything they feel shallow. Makes me, as a reader, doubt his feelings for her. Because what if that didn’t happen? Would he move on, find some other girl to settle down with, someone else to love. I love HEAs and fated couples as much as the next person, but chance events like that make relationships seem very fragile. That they wouldn’t have been reconciling if it weren’t for that single event.And Gin. I love her. She is strong and keeps her head up even when she is knocked down. And knocked down she is. I could feel her heartache after seeing Owen with his date and I wished Jennifer Estep would find her someone else who can love her wholly and unconditionally. Yes ladies and gentlemen, a HEA with Owen won’t satisfy me anymore. I could never forgive him, even though Gin might and has. Actually, she doesn’t even think he has done her wrong, but it isn’t okay that he is so grieves Salina who was a psychopathic murderer but not Gin the vigilante. This constant tension between them because of her job makes me so angry. He wants her to change who she is, and that isn’t fair. Throughout the book, Gin just hopes and hopes for signs from Owen but he disappoints her at almost every turn. It made me so sad to see her yearning for something from him. He doesn’t deserve her; she needs someone who will fight for her even when the going gets tough. ARC courtesy of Edelweiss and Simon & Schuster