feminista

Feminista

Hi everyone! I used to be a former Goodreads lover. Who has decided to move to BookLikes due to the recent changes to the GR site: that is, the decision of the management to delete reviews that talk about bad author behaviour.

It is important that we know of bad author behaviour and actions. We buy their books. I want to know whether Author A has decided to harass Reviewer A or encouraged fans to stalk Reviewer B.

I want to know this, the same way I wanted to know that a well known sporting good company had been using child labour in the production of some of its products. The same way the WHOLE WORLD wanted to know.

It is irrelevant that the author writes well, or that the said sporting good company produces good quality sporting goods. Our ethics and morals MATTER!

Now to discuss my reading habits:

I am very picky when it comes to books. I am a feminist and I think that shows in my reading list.

There are many things that bug me to death. But I'll always make an exception if the boy-girl standard is reversed. Dear world, that is MY double standard. I respect and champion authors who have the guts to do something different.

Firstly, I hate infidelity in novels.

Secondly, I hate it when the heroine is a virgin and the guy is an expert and skilled lover. I hate it when the heroine, for fated reasons, saves herself for someone who has been sowing his oats. It's not only overdone, old-fashioned and pathetic, but it also grosses me out like he is violating something so sacrosanct.

Thirdly, I might enjoy the occasional alpha-hero tendencies, but my true love lies with beta-heroes. Guys who are loving and sweet. Who don't feel the need to push around their women to make themselves feel more manly.

Feminista's bookshelf: read

Death, and the Girl He Loves
tagged: ya-and-new-adult and urban-fantasy
The Loneliest Alpha
Hard to Handle
2 of 5 stars
Rating: 2 out of 5. Sadie Howard is a serial dater who never goes out with a guy on more than one date, but then sometimes she breaks her rules... Aiden Downey found out that his mother was dying and even though he was in a relationship...
tagged: contemporary-romance and arc
Mine to Hold
3 of 5 stars
Rating: 3 out of 5. Claire Kramer from Mine to Keep has been a victim of an obsessed lover in the past. It is also a past that she can’t seem to get away from. Noah York, from the previous books, is Trace’s friend. He was a part of those...
tagged: arc and romantic-suspense
The Care and Feeding of Stray Vampires
Rating: 3.5 out of 5.
Alpha Instinct
3 of 5 stars
Rating: 3 out of 5. I have been wanting to read this book for ages. But I had the wrong idea in mind. I thought it was an Urban Fantasy novel. Probably because of the cover of a female. But it is a paranormal romance. As far as parano...
Never Love a Cowboy
tagged: historical-romance

goodreads.com

Feminista's quotes

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Feminista has completed her goal of reading 200 books in 2013!
hide
The Only Exception - Magan Vernon Rating: 4 out of 5.This new-adult novel is beautifully different from other NA’s out there. A republican and a conservative, Trey has grown up believing and supporting his father’s strong conservative views. Monica had a bad brush with Trey’s father’s (the governor’s) anti-emergency contraception laws. However these two are thrown together at every instance, from living in the same building to being enrolled in the same course: Political Science. Not to mention how the hero is sweetly and unrelentingly in pursuit of the heroine since Day 1, Hour 1, Minute 1, hell even Second 1… I kid you not, if there is a picture next to the words: hero in pursuit, it would be of this guy. Soon Monica finds herself saying yes to a study meeting, then to a date, and well, their relationship starts from there. What is very refreshing is that Trey is not like other YA-NA heroes, he is not a jerk or a womaniser. What’s even more of a surprise is that: he is a freaking virgin :O . And before you say it, I don’t think it was unrealistic. It would have been unrealistic if he wasn’t as he is so pro about his father’s conservative views, especially on contraception. This guy puts his money where his mouth is. That is to say, he would have looked like a hypocrite if on one hand he spewed forth his conservative opinions and with the other went against it. Although there was a hypocritical moment (or several) in the second half of the book.When I started this book, I was genuinely curious, wanting to see how the author would reconcile the Republican’s conservative contraception views with liberal ones. For me, this part was not well done. There was one argument with Trey that ended with him saying that she was being unreasonable. I never really understood where he was coming from, on his stricter contraceptive views. I got that he didn’t want people to use contraception to have lots of sex or whatever. But how does he justify having opinions on what other citizens can or cannot do. I mean, I get that he believes that there is an exception for rape victims, but those are not the only people who need it, what about others who honestly make a mistake, should they be pregnant at 15, and at that age be unable to give the child a good life? There was also a contradiction considering how his second brother is with a different girlfriend every weekend, unless he is keeping it PG rated with them too… So that part wasn’t really addressed, at least not to the standard I wanted it to be. Nevertheless, it was a good NA read, different from other novels. And, I am glad I requested this ARC!ARC Courtesy of NetGalley and All Night Reads.