feminista

Feminista

Hi everyone! I used to be a former Goodreads lover. Who has decided to move to BookLikes due to the recent changes to the GR site: that is, the decision of the management to delete reviews that talk about bad author behaviour.

It is important that we know of bad author behaviour and actions. We buy their books. I want to know whether Author A has decided to harass Reviewer A or encouraged fans to stalk Reviewer B.

I want to know this, the same way I wanted to know that a well known sporting good company had been using child labour in the production of some of its products. The same way the WHOLE WORLD wanted to know.

It is irrelevant that the author writes well, or that the said sporting good company produces good quality sporting goods. Our ethics and morals MATTER!

Now to discuss my reading habits:

I am very picky when it comes to books. I am a feminist and I think that shows in my reading list.

There are many things that bug me to death. But I'll always make an exception if the boy-girl standard is reversed. Dear world, that is MY double standard. I respect and champion authors who have the guts to do something different.

Firstly, I hate infidelity in novels.

Secondly, I hate it when the heroine is a virgin and the guy is an expert and skilled lover. I hate it when the heroine, for fated reasons, saves herself for someone who has been sowing his oats. It's not only overdone, old-fashioned and pathetic, but it also grosses me out like he is violating something so sacrosanct.

Thirdly, I might enjoy the occasional alpha-hero tendencies, but my true love lies with beta-heroes. Guys who are loving and sweet. Who don't feel the need to push around their women to make themselves feel more manly.

Feminista's bookshelf: read

Death, and the Girl He Loves
tagged: ya-and-new-adult and urban-fantasy
The Loneliest Alpha
Hard to Handle
2 of 5 stars
Rating: 2 out of 5. Sadie Howard is a serial dater who never goes out with a guy on more than one date, but then sometimes she breaks her rules... Aiden Downey found out that his mother was dying and even though he was in a relationship...
tagged: contemporary-romance and arc
Mine to Hold
3 of 5 stars
Rating: 3 out of 5. Claire Kramer from Mine to Keep has been a victim of an obsessed lover in the past. It is also a past that she can’t seem to get away from. Noah York, from the previous books, is Trace’s friend. He was a part of those...
tagged: arc and romantic-suspense
The Care and Feeding of Stray Vampires
Rating: 3.5 out of 5.
Alpha Instinct
3 of 5 stars
Rating: 3 out of 5. I have been wanting to read this book for ages. But I had the wrong idea in mind. I thought it was an Urban Fantasy novel. Probably because of the cover of a female. But it is a paranormal romance. As far as parano...
Never Love a Cowboy
tagged: historical-romance

goodreads.com

Feminista's quotes

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Feminista has completed her goal of reading 200 books in 2013!
hide
The Siren - Tiffany Reisz Rating: 5 out of 5.Before I start this review, I have to say, I love literature references and just seven pages into the novel was one of my favourite quotes: Brevity is the soul of wit, from Hamlet. At that point I knew that it wasn't going to be a superficial novel, and I was right. The novel if full of literary references that made it a rich read. Novels like this are a rare find these days.I spent the first half of the book making presumptions about characters and plot-lines, Reisz spent the second half of the book tearing down my assumptions. It is so easy, judging only by actions, to label someone as sick and another as noble. When I judged some of the characters, I refused to believe any explanation could justify their actions. I felt chastened for making those judgements. My biggest mistake was assuming I knew all about Søren and the type of man he was. Boy was I wrong. I had assumed that Søren was a billionaire with a kinky lifestyle. I shocked beyond belief once I found out who Søren actually was. Secrets and surprises were spread out throughout her book, making it one engaging and enjoyable read. One other thing that I loved about this novel was that Nora takes on the role of sexual aggressor. And I can’t tell you how beautifully different it makes this novel. The actual story, the plot, its characters were so rich in its depth, that their pain, sorrow, loss and joy was felt by me. There were so many lives that were intertwined in this novel, and so many parallels. Nora, Wesley, Zach, Søren, Grace and even others minor characters like Michael. Each of their lives was separate stories of love, loss and pain. Each of them had a story to tell. Each of their stories was heard. I loved how the author individualised each of her characters so well, but also managed to keep the focus on Nora. I also found this novel paradoxical: a book within a book. When Zach edits Nora’s work, he edits Ms Reisz’s. When Nora improves her writing, Ms Reisz makes her novel richer. But that’s just on the literature side of this novel. It is through Nora’s writing that we find parallels between her characters and the people in her life. It is through Nora’s books, her characters and their stories, that we understand her actions in the novel.My advice while reading this book would be: don’t make any presumptions. Or do make it, and enjoy the shock as secrets and identities are revealed. Be ready to let go of your inhibitions. ARC courtesy of NetGalley and Harlequin Enterprises Australia.