feminista

Feminista

Hi everyone! I used to be a former Goodreads lover. Who has decided to move to BookLikes due to the recent changes to the GR site: that is, the decision of the management to delete reviews that talk about bad author behaviour.

It is important that we know of bad author behaviour and actions. We buy their books. I want to know whether Author A has decided to harass Reviewer A or encouraged fans to stalk Reviewer B.

I want to know this, the same way I wanted to know that a well known sporting good company had been using child labour in the production of some of its products. The same way the WHOLE WORLD wanted to know.

It is irrelevant that the author writes well, or that the said sporting good company produces good quality sporting goods. Our ethics and morals MATTER!

Now to discuss my reading habits:

I am very picky when it comes to books. I am a feminist and I think that shows in my reading list.

There are many things that bug me to death. But I'll always make an exception if the boy-girl standard is reversed. Dear world, that is MY double standard. I respect and champion authors who have the guts to do something different.

Firstly, I hate infidelity in novels.

Secondly, I hate it when the heroine is a virgin and the guy is an expert and skilled lover. I hate it when the heroine, for fated reasons, saves herself for someone who has been sowing his oats. It's not only overdone, old-fashioned and pathetic, but it also grosses me out like he is violating something so sacrosanct.

Thirdly, I might enjoy the occasional alpha-hero tendencies, but my true love lies with beta-heroes. Guys who are loving and sweet. Who don't feel the need to push around their women to make themselves feel more manly.

Feminista's bookshelf: read

Death, and the Girl He Loves
tagged: ya-and-new-adult and urban-fantasy
The Loneliest Alpha
Hard to Handle
2 of 5 stars
Rating: 2 out of 5. Sadie Howard is a serial dater who never goes out with a guy on more than one date, but then sometimes she breaks her rules... Aiden Downey found out that his mother was dying and even though he was in a relationship...
tagged: contemporary-romance and arc
Mine to Hold
3 of 5 stars
Rating: 3 out of 5. Claire Kramer from Mine to Keep has been a victim of an obsessed lover in the past. It is also a past that she can’t seem to get away from. Noah York, from the previous books, is Trace’s friend. He was a part of those...
tagged: arc and romantic-suspense
The Care and Feeding of Stray Vampires
Rating: 3.5 out of 5.
Alpha Instinct
3 of 5 stars
Rating: 3 out of 5. I have been wanting to read this book for ages. But I had the wrong idea in mind. I thought it was an Urban Fantasy novel. Probably because of the cover of a female. But it is a paranormal romance. As far as parano...
Never Love a Cowboy
tagged: historical-romance

goodreads.com

Feminista's quotes

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Feminista has completed her goal of reading 200 books in 2013!
hide
Comanche Moon - Catherine Anderson Rating: 2 out of 5This is my second Catherine Anderson novel and I am starting to see a pattern. The villain is not punished. In Annie’s Song, I could have stomached it. But not for this. Loretta’s mother’s rapists and murderers are found and the chief rapist and murderer known, nearing three-quarters of the book, she forgives him. I found that appalling. There are some things that can never be forgiven, should never be forgiven and this definitely rates as one of them.Also, I agree with Loretta when she thinks that Hunter’s love is self-centred. I agree, what if it were the people who raped Hunter’s wife, wouldn’t the situation have been different. Actually, that man HAS viciously killed those men to avenge his wife, but God forbid he avenges for Loretta. And when an attack happens on the Comanche village, near the end of the book, he wonders if she ran off with his father’s murderers. How hypocritical when she is being forced to live with her father AND mother’s murderers AND rapist.I was going to give this book a 4-star rating. But the ending just ruined it for me. I know there could be a lot of explanations. That this is war time, that Hunter didn’t rape anyone so it’s okay, that he just stood by and let others from his tribe rape women and children (whom he leads, might I add, no matter how out-numbered he is against then, we don’t see him taking a stand, saying “no anyone who rapes a woman or a child will be punished or murdered”). There is nothing, no opposition is the same as acquiescence for me. Lots of things become dubious in war times. But I can’t accept the fact that raping women and children becomes a tolerated part of life.