feminista

Feminista

Hi everyone! I used to be a former Goodreads lover. Who has decided to move to BookLikes due to the recent changes to the GR site: that is, the decision of the management to delete reviews that talk about bad author behaviour.

It is important that we know of bad author behaviour and actions. We buy their books. I want to know whether Author A has decided to harass Reviewer A or encouraged fans to stalk Reviewer B.

I want to know this, the same way I wanted to know that a well known sporting good company had been using child labour in the production of some of its products. The same way the WHOLE WORLD wanted to know.

It is irrelevant that the author writes well, or that the said sporting good company produces good quality sporting goods. Our ethics and morals MATTER!

Now to discuss my reading habits:

I am very picky when it comes to books. I am a feminist and I think that shows in my reading list.

There are many things that bug me to death. But I'll always make an exception if the boy-girl standard is reversed. Dear world, that is MY double standard. I respect and champion authors who have the guts to do something different.

Firstly, I hate infidelity in novels.

Secondly, I hate it when the heroine is a virgin and the guy is an expert and skilled lover. I hate it when the heroine, for fated reasons, saves herself for someone who has been sowing his oats. It's not only overdone, old-fashioned and pathetic, but it also grosses me out like he is violating something so sacrosanct.

Thirdly, I might enjoy the occasional alpha-hero tendencies, but my true love lies with beta-heroes. Guys who are loving and sweet. Who don't feel the need to push around their women to make themselves feel more manly.

Feminista's bookshelf: read

Death, and the Girl He Loves
tagged: ya-and-new-adult and urban-fantasy
The Loneliest Alpha
Hard to Handle
2 of 5 stars
Rating: 2 out of 5. Sadie Howard is a serial dater who never goes out with a guy on more than one date, but then sometimes she breaks her rules... Aiden Downey found out that his mother was dying and even though he was in a relationship...
tagged: contemporary-romance and arc
Mine to Hold
3 of 5 stars
Rating: 3 out of 5. Claire Kramer from Mine to Keep has been a victim of an obsessed lover in the past. It is also a past that she can’t seem to get away from. Noah York, from the previous books, is Trace’s friend. He was a part of those...
tagged: arc and romantic-suspense
The Care and Feeding of Stray Vampires
Rating: 3.5 out of 5.
Alpha Instinct
3 of 5 stars
Rating: 3 out of 5. I have been wanting to read this book for ages. But I had the wrong idea in mind. I thought it was an Urban Fantasy novel. Probably because of the cover of a female. But it is a paranormal romance. As far as parano...
Never Love a Cowboy
tagged: historical-romance

goodreads.com

Feminista's quotes

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Feminista has completed her goal of reading 200 books in 2013!
hide
Edge of Dawn (Midnight Breed, #11) - Lara Adrian Rating: 4 out of 5.This was my first book in Lara Adrian’s Midnight Breed series, but nevertheless, it did pretty well on its own. After the first couple of chapters, I knew what was happening. I guess that is the virtue of a paranormal romance book: they tend to focus more on the romance aspect of the characters than the fantasy aspect, when compared to an urban fantasy novel.In this novel, Mira is the captain of one of the Order groups. Being a female Breed mate captain is unheard of, especially because she does not even possess the power of other male Breeds and won’t possess their longevity until she bonds with someone. But she doesn’t want to bond with anyone else other than her one and only lover Kellan Archer, whom she and the rest of the world presumes dead. Kellan, now goes by the name of Bowman, and is a rebel leader. After kidnapping a well-known human, whom Mira was supposed to be guarding, both her and Kellan are thrown into a world of danger as Mira tries to overcome her hurt over Kellan’s betrayal and Kellan tries to make sense of where Mira fits in his world, if she fits at all.When I first read the synopsis, I was prepared to hate Kellan, because betrayal of any kind is hard to get over. But as you read the book, you come to understand why Kellan did what he did (although his fears still come to pass, so staying away from Mira was bit of a self-induced torture that they could have done without) but also, you see his devotion to her, because while he might constantly need blood from others, he has only ever intimately been with Mira and that’s saying something for the both of them. ARC courtesy of NetGalley and Random House Publishing Group.