feminista

Feminista

Hi everyone! I used to be a former Goodreads lover. Who has decided to move to BookLikes due to the recent changes to the GR site: that is, the decision of the management to delete reviews that talk about bad author behaviour.

It is important that we know of bad author behaviour and actions. We buy their books. I want to know whether Author A has decided to harass Reviewer A or encouraged fans to stalk Reviewer B.

I want to know this, the same way I wanted to know that a well known sporting good company had been using child labour in the production of some of its products. The same way the WHOLE WORLD wanted to know.

It is irrelevant that the author writes well, or that the said sporting good company produces good quality sporting goods. Our ethics and morals MATTER!

Now to discuss my reading habits:

I am very picky when it comes to books. I am a feminist and I think that shows in my reading list.

There are many things that bug me to death. But I'll always make an exception if the boy-girl standard is reversed. Dear world, that is MY double standard. I respect and champion authors who have the guts to do something different.

Firstly, I hate infidelity in novels.

Secondly, I hate it when the heroine is a virgin and the guy is an expert and skilled lover. I hate it when the heroine, for fated reasons, saves herself for someone who has been sowing his oats. It's not only overdone, old-fashioned and pathetic, but it also grosses me out like he is violating something so sacrosanct.

Thirdly, I might enjoy the occasional alpha-hero tendencies, but my true love lies with beta-heroes. Guys who are loving and sweet. Who don't feel the need to push around their women to make themselves feel more manly.

Feminista's bookshelf: read

Death, and the Girl He Loves
tagged: ya-and-new-adult and urban-fantasy
The Loneliest Alpha
Hard to Handle
2 of 5 stars
Rating: 2 out of 5. Sadie Howard is a serial dater who never goes out with a guy on more than one date, but then sometimes she breaks her rules... Aiden Downey found out that his mother was dying and even though he was in a relationship...
tagged: contemporary-romance and arc
Mine to Hold
3 of 5 stars
Rating: 3 out of 5. Claire Kramer from Mine to Keep has been a victim of an obsessed lover in the past. It is also a past that she can’t seem to get away from. Noah York, from the previous books, is Trace’s friend. He was a part of those...
tagged: arc and romantic-suspense
The Care and Feeding of Stray Vampires
Rating: 3.5 out of 5.
Alpha Instinct
3 of 5 stars
Rating: 3 out of 5. I have been wanting to read this book for ages. But I had the wrong idea in mind. I thought it was an Urban Fantasy novel. Probably because of the cover of a female. But it is a paranormal romance. As far as parano...
Never Love a Cowboy
tagged: historical-romance

goodreads.com

Feminista's quotes

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Feminista has completed her goal of reading 200 books in 2013!
hide
What's Left of Me - Kat Zhang Rating: 3 out of 5.What’s Left of Me by Kat ZhangIn the dystopian world that Kat Zhang has created, everyone is born with two souls. As they get older, the dominant soul overcomes the weaker one and then there is just one person left. This process is called settling.In this story, the protagonist Eva is the weaker one. Her sister/body-sharing-soul is Addie. Addie and Eva had refused to settle at the age of five, when kids start settling. But Eva hung on even through the tests and subduing processes, until they just pretended that Eva did not exist. To weak other than to just converse with her sister, Evan hung on while Addie went on with her life, going to school making friends, studying. Until one day, when they are fifteen, they realise that they are not the only ones who have just went along pretending. They find Hally and her brother Devon, both of whom are hybrids. Kat Zhang has come up with a novel idea of two souls sharing one soul and one dominant one overcoming the other. Sort of like genes, where you dominant gene takes over others. But the characters were so helpless. They mostly did whatever they were told to do, even when they saw and knew what happened to other kids at the clinic. There were also times when I felt that both Eva and Addie were selfish. Addie’s was more obvious when she didn’t want Eva to take over her body. But for Eva, there was a scene there when she gets so excited that she can move, even though she is told that the medicine they gave her was just to prove that Eva was still there. Nevertheless, she wouldn’t stop moving and sits there saying that they won’t make her leave ever. It gave her away completely. They continually fall into traps that the doctors set up for them. They should have taken the time to think before they acted, they could have planned an escape from the beginning of their stay at the hospital and not wait for someone else to save them.ARC courtesy of NetGalley and HarperCollins Publishers Australia.