feminista

Feminista

Hi everyone! I used to be a former Goodreads lover. Who has decided to move to BookLikes due to the recent changes to the GR site: that is, the decision of the management to delete reviews that talk about bad author behaviour.

It is important that we know of bad author behaviour and actions. We buy their books. I want to know whether Author A has decided to harass Reviewer A or encouraged fans to stalk Reviewer B.

I want to know this, the same way I wanted to know that a well known sporting good company had been using child labour in the production of some of its products. The same way the WHOLE WORLD wanted to know.

It is irrelevant that the author writes well, or that the said sporting good company produces good quality sporting goods. Our ethics and morals MATTER!

Now to discuss my reading habits:

I am very picky when it comes to books. I am a feminist and I think that shows in my reading list.

There are many things that bug me to death. But I'll always make an exception if the boy-girl standard is reversed. Dear world, that is MY double standard. I respect and champion authors who have the guts to do something different.

Firstly, I hate infidelity in novels.

Secondly, I hate it when the heroine is a virgin and the guy is an expert and skilled lover. I hate it when the heroine, for fated reasons, saves herself for someone who has been sowing his oats. It's not only overdone, old-fashioned and pathetic, but it also grosses me out like he is violating something so sacrosanct.

Thirdly, I might enjoy the occasional alpha-hero tendencies, but my true love lies with beta-heroes. Guys who are loving and sweet. Who don't feel the need to push around their women to make themselves feel more manly.

Feminista's bookshelf: read

Death, and the Girl He Loves
tagged: ya-and-new-adult and urban-fantasy
The Loneliest Alpha
Hard to Handle
2 of 5 stars
Rating: 2 out of 5. Sadie Howard is a serial dater who never goes out with a guy on more than one date, but then sometimes she breaks her rules... Aiden Downey found out that his mother was dying and even though he was in a relationship...
tagged: contemporary-romance and arc
Mine to Hold
3 of 5 stars
Rating: 3 out of 5. Claire Kramer from Mine to Keep has been a victim of an obsessed lover in the past. It is also a past that she can’t seem to get away from. Noah York, from the previous books, is Trace’s friend. He was a part of those...
tagged: arc and romantic-suspense
The Care and Feeding of Stray Vampires
Rating: 3.5 out of 5.
Alpha Instinct
3 of 5 stars
Rating: 3 out of 5. I have been wanting to read this book for ages. But I had the wrong idea in mind. I thought it was an Urban Fantasy novel. Probably because of the cover of a female. But it is a paranormal romance. As far as parano...
Never Love a Cowboy
tagged: historical-romance

goodreads.com

Feminista's quotes

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Feminista has completed her goal of reading 200 books in 2013!
hide
Exposed - Kyra Davis Rating: 1 out of 5Exposed by Kyra DavisThis book was even worse. I can’t understand what came over me that I picked up a book where cheating was the main story. Maybe I was biased because for once the girl was cheating instead of being cheated on, but it was just horrible.I think the author is trying to make Dave look like the bad guy, being all vindictive and cold. But all it’s making me think, sitting here and reading this book, is that, he has a right to be. I am sorry, but if I get cheated on, I reserve the right to be a bitch… Why should that make Dave the bad guy, or more appropriately, why should that make Kasie a victim. I mean she is the one who cheated on him! He blackmails her saying that he will let everyone know that she got down on her knees for a client, but SHE WAS being unprofessional – she is not faultless. But does she sit and think, oh God, I can’t believe I slept with a client even after I knew he was a client. Or oh God, I can’t believe I cheated on Dave, because no one deserves that? NO, she does not think those things; instead, she lies there and thinks of ways to murder Dave. Then the next morning she lets Robert feel her up again. What the hell! Did you not say to yourself, to Dave AND to Robert that you would never go there again? Six hours later, with little persuasion, she is pressed up against the wall of her office and at it again with Robert…I hate how little control over her body she has. It’s like in years she felt a bit of lust and she jumps on Robert. Might I add, I don’t feel the chemistry between her and Robert. To me, it was all lust, lust, lust based on cheating, unprofessionalism, lying, deceiving and just basically being a crappy human being. And Robert isn’t any better, he encourages her over and over again to cheat. I mean old man, take a step back, she is already taken.And then as the story proceeds, Dave starts to sound more psychotic, but to me, it felt as though the author was trying to justify Kasie cheating by saying, oh, it doesn’t matter, because Dave is a horrible person. Lastly, Kasie is a hypocrite. She says, three quarters through the book, that she won’t ever be controlled by Dave again or anyone else, that now that she is once free from Dave’s dominance, she will be herself. And then, a couple of pages later, she lets Robert control her. What she wears to bed, and when she goes to say ‘I am going to work’, he replies with a not yet, and she just lies back down. Then he says something like he will allow her to handle things her way, and she says nothing. I have zero respect for her. I don’t think it’s sexy how she lets Robert control her like that, especially considering the context and the situation she was in with another controlling man. I also don’t think it’s conducive to the author’s cause that I am more supportive of her villains than her heroine and hero. So this is where this series ends for me! ARC courtesy of Edelweiss and Simon and Shuster.