feminista

Feminista

Hi everyone! I used to be a former Goodreads lover. Who has decided to move to BookLikes due to the recent changes to the GR site: that is, the decision of the management to delete reviews that talk about bad author behaviour.

It is important that we know of bad author behaviour and actions. We buy their books. I want to know whether Author A has decided to harass Reviewer A or encouraged fans to stalk Reviewer B.

I want to know this, the same way I wanted to know that a well known sporting good company had been using child labour in the production of some of its products. The same way the WHOLE WORLD wanted to know.

It is irrelevant that the author writes well, or that the said sporting good company produces good quality sporting goods. Our ethics and morals MATTER!

Now to discuss my reading habits:

I am very picky when it comes to books. I am a feminist and I think that shows in my reading list.

There are many things that bug me to death. But I'll always make an exception if the boy-girl standard is reversed. Dear world, that is MY double standard. I respect and champion authors who have the guts to do something different.

Firstly, I hate infidelity in novels.

Secondly, I hate it when the heroine is a virgin and the guy is an expert and skilled lover. I hate it when the heroine, for fated reasons, saves herself for someone who has been sowing his oats. It's not only overdone, old-fashioned and pathetic, but it also grosses me out like he is violating something so sacrosanct.

Thirdly, I might enjoy the occasional alpha-hero tendencies, but my true love lies with beta-heroes. Guys who are loving and sweet. Who don't feel the need to push around their women to make themselves feel more manly.

Feminista's bookshelf: read

Death, and the Girl He Loves
tagged: ya-and-new-adult and urban-fantasy
The Loneliest Alpha
Hard to Handle
2 of 5 stars
Rating: 2 out of 5. Sadie Howard is a serial dater who never goes out with a guy on more than one date, but then sometimes she breaks her rules... Aiden Downey found out that his mother was dying and even though he was in a relationship...
tagged: contemporary-romance and arc
Mine to Hold
3 of 5 stars
Rating: 3 out of 5. Claire Kramer from Mine to Keep has been a victim of an obsessed lover in the past. It is also a past that she can’t seem to get away from. Noah York, from the previous books, is Trace’s friend. He was a part of those...
tagged: arc and romantic-suspense
The Care and Feeding of Stray Vampires
Rating: 3.5 out of 5.
Alpha Instinct
3 of 5 stars
Rating: 3 out of 5. I have been wanting to read this book for ages. But I had the wrong idea in mind. I thought it was an Urban Fantasy novel. Probably because of the cover of a female. But it is a paranormal romance. As far as parano...
Never Love a Cowboy
tagged: historical-romance

goodreads.com

Feminista's quotes

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Feminista has completed her goal of reading 200 books in 2013!
hide
Venom - Fiona Paul Rating: 2.5 out of 5.Venom by Fiona PaulSet in Italy, the story revolves around Cassandra, a member of the upper class and Falco, a lower class artisan who stumble upon a prostitute’s dead body. They soon realise that the murderer knows that Cassandra saw the body, and the murderer starts targeting her.Overall the story was okay. I loved the setting of the novel. I did not, however, like Falco. I found him annoying. He wasn’t very considerate about her situation and the damage it would cause her. It may have been easy for him to just go out and do things, but I felt that he didn’t appreciate how difficult it was for her to do things that came so easy for him. I also felt that he was impatient with her. He said things that were insensitive. He was also very selfish. He wants a tryst with her, even though he knows that she is betrothed, and he knows what that will do to her future, reputation and life. Add to that, he is a liar, and deceives her and then asks her why she can’t trust him. Puh-lease, I would trust him half as far as I could throw him, and maybe not even that far. I found his personality highly unattractive. Finally, I found their chemistry lacking. There was a lot of blushing going on her part, and on his part, there was a lot of amusement. Neither is good foundation for a relationship. I didn’t even feel like it developed enough from there.But I did like the ending. It was unusual in the sense that it isn’t a common ending, and that made the novel richer. ARC courtesy of NetGalley and HarperCollins Publisher Australia.