feminista

Feminista

Hi everyone! I used to be a former Goodreads lover. Who has decided to move to BookLikes due to the recent changes to the GR site: that is, the decision of the management to delete reviews that talk about bad author behaviour.

It is important that we know of bad author behaviour and actions. We buy their books. I want to know whether Author A has decided to harass Reviewer A or encouraged fans to stalk Reviewer B.

I want to know this, the same way I wanted to know that a well known sporting good company had been using child labour in the production of some of its products. The same way the WHOLE WORLD wanted to know.

It is irrelevant that the author writes well, or that the said sporting good company produces good quality sporting goods. Our ethics and morals MATTER!

Now to discuss my reading habits:

I am very picky when it comes to books. I am a feminist and I think that shows in my reading list.

There are many things that bug me to death. But I'll always make an exception if the boy-girl standard is reversed. Dear world, that is MY double standard. I respect and champion authors who have the guts to do something different.

Firstly, I hate infidelity in novels.

Secondly, I hate it when the heroine is a virgin and the guy is an expert and skilled lover. I hate it when the heroine, for fated reasons, saves herself for someone who has been sowing his oats. It's not only overdone, old-fashioned and pathetic, but it also grosses me out like he is violating something so sacrosanct.

Thirdly, I might enjoy the occasional alpha-hero tendencies, but my true love lies with beta-heroes. Guys who are loving and sweet. Who don't feel the need to push around their women to make themselves feel more manly.

Feminista's bookshelf: read

Death, and the Girl He Loves
tagged: ya-and-new-adult and urban-fantasy
The Loneliest Alpha
Hard to Handle
2 of 5 stars
Rating: 2 out of 5. Sadie Howard is a serial dater who never goes out with a guy on more than one date, but then sometimes she breaks her rules... Aiden Downey found out that his mother was dying and even though he was in a relationship...
tagged: contemporary-romance and arc
Mine to Hold
3 of 5 stars
Rating: 3 out of 5. Claire Kramer from Mine to Keep has been a victim of an obsessed lover in the past. It is also a past that she can’t seem to get away from. Noah York, from the previous books, is Trace’s friend. He was a part of those...
tagged: arc and romantic-suspense
The Care and Feeding of Stray Vampires
Rating: 3.5 out of 5.
Alpha Instinct
3 of 5 stars
Rating: 3 out of 5. I have been wanting to read this book for ages. But I had the wrong idea in mind. I thought it was an Urban Fantasy novel. Probably because of the cover of a female. But it is a paranormal romance. As far as parano...
Never Love a Cowboy
tagged: historical-romance

goodreads.com

Feminista's quotes

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Feminista has completed her goal of reading 200 books in 2013!
hide
Paradise Hops - Liz Crowe Rating: 2 out of 5Paradise Hops by Liz CroweOkay straight off, I had issues with this book. The fact that Lori found it necessary to hide the fact that she was applying for a prestigious overseas brewery school, which she says her current boyfriend Garrett would have supported her with fully and she doesn’t know why she hid it from him, put me off to a bad start with her. I don’t get it, she just felt like lying to her boyfriend, who happens to be a supportive nice guy, about something so big? Then she goes on about trust issues. This is like 2 pages in the ARC Copy, we are given no background of what happened to her, don’t know why she has trust issues. I had to go back to Goodreads and see if there were any prequels to this novel. There are none… I understand trust issues just fine, but with nothing to back it up, I just couldn’t connect with Lori in the beginning.Then we get to the past of the story, and I still couldn’t understand why she didn't trust Garrett, but could trust Eli, a man who smacked her ass the first day they met. On top of that, Eli was/is a rude arrogant asshole. I didn’t find him appealing at all. All I wanted to do with him was teach him some manners.Then there were her relationships… It was so pathetic that she would panic and become scared when Garrett touched her softly and gently, but when Eli pushed her up against the wall, she was ready for it and not an ounce scared. By 30 pages into the book, I lost whatever respect I could dredge up for a woman who was raped, as she threw herself shamelessly at Eli, while she had a date that night with Garret who had waited for her for months.50 pages down the ARC that I received, she has another ‘encounter’ with Eli, then afterwards when Garrett’s presence forces them to stop getting all touchy feely, she acts like a bitch to Garrett.Then we find out that Eli only rides bareback. God, this bought on a sort of funny but horrific moment where I remembered all the safe sex ed that we got when I was in school. That’s not the worst part, the worst was the fact that Eli is a ‘ladies man’, or as I call it, a man-whore. So not does Eli only ever ride bareback, but he also does so with many ladies. Come on, how many of you are thinking about the dreaded STDs now?Then afterwards, I realised I had more reasons to dislike Lori. So when she is with one guy, she closes her eyes and sees the other guys eyes. Yup, so after sleeping with Eli, she ‘misses’ Garrett, she thinks of his green eyes and then she gives him a call, from Eli’s house. Garret proceeds to ask her whether she is bored at Eli’s house, and her attitude, I swear, like she doesn’t deserve that and worse. A day or two after sleeping with Eli, she says to Garrett that she loves him. I mean what the hell? Come on, that is so not cool. If a guy did that to me, I’d be like ‘bitch please’ and reward him with a hard resounding slap across his face.So the epilogue sort of redeemed it a bit for me, but that was too late for anything more than 2 stars from me.ARC courtesy of NetGalley and YouDoPR.com