feminista

Feminista

Hi everyone! I used to be a former Goodreads lover. Who has decided to move to BookLikes due to the recent changes to the GR site: that is, the decision of the management to delete reviews that talk about bad author behaviour.

It is important that we know of bad author behaviour and actions. We buy their books. I want to know whether Author A has decided to harass Reviewer A or encouraged fans to stalk Reviewer B.

I want to know this, the same way I wanted to know that a well known sporting good company had been using child labour in the production of some of its products. The same way the WHOLE WORLD wanted to know.

It is irrelevant that the author writes well, or that the said sporting good company produces good quality sporting goods. Our ethics and morals MATTER!

Now to discuss my reading habits:

I am very picky when it comes to books. I am a feminist and I think that shows in my reading list.

There are many things that bug me to death. But I'll always make an exception if the boy-girl standard is reversed. Dear world, that is MY double standard. I respect and champion authors who have the guts to do something different.

Firstly, I hate infidelity in novels.

Secondly, I hate it when the heroine is a virgin and the guy is an expert and skilled lover. I hate it when the heroine, for fated reasons, saves herself for someone who has been sowing his oats. It's not only overdone, old-fashioned and pathetic, but it also grosses me out like he is violating something so sacrosanct.

Thirdly, I might enjoy the occasional alpha-hero tendencies, but my true love lies with beta-heroes. Guys who are loving and sweet. Who don't feel the need to push around their women to make themselves feel more manly.

Feminista's bookshelf: read

Death, and the Girl He Loves
tagged: ya-and-new-adult and urban-fantasy
The Loneliest Alpha
Hard to Handle
2 of 5 stars
Rating: 2 out of 5. Sadie Howard is a serial dater who never goes out with a guy on more than one date, but then sometimes she breaks her rules... Aiden Downey found out that his mother was dying and even though he was in a relationship...
tagged: contemporary-romance and arc
Mine to Hold
3 of 5 stars
Rating: 3 out of 5. Claire Kramer from Mine to Keep has been a victim of an obsessed lover in the past. It is also a past that she can’t seem to get away from. Noah York, from the previous books, is Trace’s friend. He was a part of those...
tagged: arc and romantic-suspense
The Care and Feeding of Stray Vampires
Rating: 3.5 out of 5.
Alpha Instinct
3 of 5 stars
Rating: 3 out of 5. I have been wanting to read this book for ages. But I had the wrong idea in mind. I thought it was an Urban Fantasy novel. Probably because of the cover of a female. But it is a paranormal romance. As far as parano...
Never Love a Cowboy
tagged: historical-romance

goodreads.com

Feminista's quotes

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Feminista has completed her goal of reading 200 books in 2013!
hide
The Convict's Bounty Bride - Lena Dowling Rating: 2 out of 5.The convict’s bounty bride by Lena DowlingThis book had good prospects. A convict and his lady wife. A beautiful possibility. My only thought before I started the book was that I wished it were longer than a novella. But within the first three pages, I couldn’t reach the ending fast enough.The heroine Thea, is supposed to be a strong headed woman with modern notions of feminism. The first page in, you realise that it’s all thought and no action. She initially starts of, scared as a kitten, asking her father whether she can work in a bank, in front of her mother, whom she knows is going to say no. I can’t credit her for cleverness when it came to that setting. What was she thinking? Anyway, she obviously gets shot down by her mother, who only has to say no twice, before the strong-headed heroine settles down and accepts it. Thea, by my standards, had no backbone. Then she puts down side-riding, and feel smug for having disagreed with her mother twice in such a short amount of time. Then she sits and dreams of ways to disgrace herself in the ton, so that she is to never marry. Something that she doesn’t follow through in the book.Then comes the hero, James, who is a hypocritical [insert few choice words], asks after Thea’s virginity as though he is valuing a prize horse. While he himself, relishes in the thought of going back to his skilful courtesans. Although that there was a notion, during the historical period, that men would be allowed pleasures that women won’t, it still didn’t mean that I had to accept and like James’ repugnant principles. He is obsessed with her virginity. Not only does he hire someone to be his spy, whom he asks, but he also asks her whether she is. Like she would be something vile if she wasn’t. So this James Hunter also likes to wear breaches so tight, that there is no point in wearing them.Although there were several annoying moments throughout this novella, the worst was when, a few hours (if even that) after Thea’s brother dies, Thea looks to James to teach her the pleasures of flesh, just so she can forget. This whole scene was utterly repugnant to me. In this situation and context, I can’t accept that no matter how devastated a person would be that it would be acceptable to seek out sex. I mean, your brother just died, can you not grab on to his privates please!The romance was utterly unbelievable. The characters had shallow personalities.ARC courtesy of NetGalley and Harlequin Enterprises Australia