feminista

Feminista

Hi everyone! I used to be a former Goodreads lover. Who has decided to move to BookLikes due to the recent changes to the GR site: that is, the decision of the management to delete reviews that talk about bad author behaviour.

It is important that we know of bad author behaviour and actions. We buy their books. I want to know whether Author A has decided to harass Reviewer A or encouraged fans to stalk Reviewer B.

I want to know this, the same way I wanted to know that a well known sporting good company had been using child labour in the production of some of its products. The same way the WHOLE WORLD wanted to know.

It is irrelevant that the author writes well, or that the said sporting good company produces good quality sporting goods. Our ethics and morals MATTER!

Now to discuss my reading habits:

I am very picky when it comes to books. I am a feminist and I think that shows in my reading list.

There are many things that bug me to death. But I'll always make an exception if the boy-girl standard is reversed. Dear world, that is MY double standard. I respect and champion authors who have the guts to do something different.

Firstly, I hate infidelity in novels.

Secondly, I hate it when the heroine is a virgin and the guy is an expert and skilled lover. I hate it when the heroine, for fated reasons, saves herself for someone who has been sowing his oats. It's not only overdone, old-fashioned and pathetic, but it also grosses me out like he is violating something so sacrosanct.

Thirdly, I might enjoy the occasional alpha-hero tendencies, but my true love lies with beta-heroes. Guys who are loving and sweet. Who don't feel the need to push around their women to make themselves feel more manly.

Feminista's bookshelf: read

Death, and the Girl He Loves
tagged: ya-and-new-adult and urban-fantasy
The Loneliest Alpha
Hard to Handle
2 of 5 stars
Rating: 2 out of 5. Sadie Howard is a serial dater who never goes out with a guy on more than one date, but then sometimes she breaks her rules... Aiden Downey found out that his mother was dying and even though he was in a relationship...
tagged: contemporary-romance and arc
Mine to Hold
3 of 5 stars
Rating: 3 out of 5. Claire Kramer from Mine to Keep has been a victim of an obsessed lover in the past. It is also a past that she can’t seem to get away from. Noah York, from the previous books, is Trace’s friend. He was a part of those...
tagged: arc and romantic-suspense
The Care and Feeding of Stray Vampires
Rating: 3.5 out of 5.
Alpha Instinct
3 of 5 stars
Rating: 3 out of 5. I have been wanting to read this book for ages. But I had the wrong idea in mind. I thought it was an Urban Fantasy novel. Probably because of the cover of a female. But it is a paranormal romance. As far as parano...
Never Love a Cowboy
tagged: historical-romance

goodreads.com

Feminista's quotes

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Feminista has completed her goal of reading 200 books in 2013!
hide
To Kiss a Texan - Jodi Thomas Rating: 4.5 out of 5.Allie was ripped away from her family at a very young age by some natives. Being forced to live with a tribe that used her, she learnt what it meant to be a "throwaway woman". A woman of little value or worth. For example, Allie was fed the scraps only if there were any left over; and if she made something for herself, she had to make countless others for others in the tribe, before she would be allowed to keep that thing for herself.When her tribe is attacked, Allie sneaks away to a secret place in the caves she has made for herself and lives in peace for the first time after her kidnapping. But after years of living there by herself, she ventures out too far one day and is taken by the white men to "save her". Only the preacher she is left with likes to save her by beating her, and blames her when he rapes her. But that isn't where it ends, the preacher lends her out to other men who rape her and beat her if she resists. Being scarred inside and out, Allie trusts no one. So when she sees a man being beaten from inside her cage, she literally reaches out to him. Because she knows what it means to be beaten. If not worse. Wes McLain doesn't know what to make of the wild girl inside of the cage, who touches him with understanding in her gaze. Unwilling to leave her to the brutal hands of her handler and the preacher, he thinks to save her by breaking her out. Except with all plans that are made on the spot, it is flawed. For the whole town knows who Wes McLain is and is after him for committing the "criminal act" of kidnapping a girl, who they think can't think for herself. Even though he thinks to set her free in the wild, he knows that he will be punished. But Allie isn't going anywhere. Bewildered by the wounded stranger who saves her, she feels indebted enough to him to take him to his doctor brother. After that, she thinks she will leave. But soon she is coaxed by the family into taking a shower, eating, sleeping and dressing respectably. When the morning comes and brings with it the preacher and his men, the only solution to the crime of kidnapping is marriage.What I loved about this book was the characters. The characters were beautiful and had depth. Wes was a gruff man who has been hard done by life. Although his bark is worse than his bite, and that's something Allie realises with time. Allie, is a girl who is scared of people, even of the man she saved and who saved her. She longs to go back to the simplicity of the wilderness. But fear does not make Allie weak or cowardly, instead it makes her fight back, and fight back she does!