feminista

Feminista

Hi everyone! I used to be a former Goodreads lover. Who has decided to move to BookLikes due to the recent changes to the GR site: that is, the decision of the management to delete reviews that talk about bad author behaviour.

It is important that we know of bad author behaviour and actions. We buy their books. I want to know whether Author A has decided to harass Reviewer A or encouraged fans to stalk Reviewer B.

I want to know this, the same way I wanted to know that a well known sporting good company had been using child labour in the production of some of its products. The same way the WHOLE WORLD wanted to know.

It is irrelevant that the author writes well, or that the said sporting good company produces good quality sporting goods. Our ethics and morals MATTER!

Now to discuss my reading habits:

I am very picky when it comes to books. I am a feminist and I think that shows in my reading list.

There are many things that bug me to death. But I'll always make an exception if the boy-girl standard is reversed. Dear world, that is MY double standard. I respect and champion authors who have the guts to do something different.

Firstly, I hate infidelity in novels.

Secondly, I hate it when the heroine is a virgin and the guy is an expert and skilled lover. I hate it when the heroine, for fated reasons, saves herself for someone who has been sowing his oats. It's not only overdone, old-fashioned and pathetic, but it also grosses me out like he is violating something so sacrosanct.

Thirdly, I might enjoy the occasional alpha-hero tendencies, but my true love lies with beta-heroes. Guys who are loving and sweet. Who don't feel the need to push around their women to make themselves feel more manly.

Feminista's bookshelf: read

Death, and the Girl He Loves
tagged: ya-and-new-adult and urban-fantasy
The Loneliest Alpha
Hard to Handle
2 of 5 stars
Rating: 2 out of 5. Sadie Howard is a serial dater who never goes out with a guy on more than one date, but then sometimes she breaks her rules... Aiden Downey found out that his mother was dying and even though he was in a relationship...
tagged: contemporary-romance and arc
Mine to Hold
3 of 5 stars
Rating: 3 out of 5. Claire Kramer from Mine to Keep has been a victim of an obsessed lover in the past. It is also a past that she can’t seem to get away from. Noah York, from the previous books, is Trace’s friend. He was a part of those...
tagged: arc and romantic-suspense
The Care and Feeding of Stray Vampires
Rating: 3.5 out of 5.
Alpha Instinct
3 of 5 stars
Rating: 3 out of 5. I have been wanting to read this book for ages. But I had the wrong idea in mind. I thought it was an Urban Fantasy novel. Probably because of the cover of a female. But it is a paranormal romance. As far as parano...
Never Love a Cowboy
tagged: historical-romance

goodreads.com

Feminista's quotes

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Feminista has completed her goal of reading 200 books in 2013!
hide
Providence - Jamie McGuire I have to admit, I am surprised. This book has pretty good ratings, but not many people comment on how poorly it is written. The basic creative writing skills that we learn, is for the better part absent from this book. Where is the description?All I am reading is that she did this, he did that and lots of dialogue, dialogue, dialogue. Will it cause the author too much trouble to describe the characters in detail? Other than the fact that Kim has caramel coloured hair. I mean, that's literally all we are given about her. And where is the description of the setting? We jump from dorm to bar. But we aren't even given any description of the bar or the dorm. And then there are the characters. Firstly, Nina's reactions are not in the bit realistic. Her father passes away in the first chapter of the book and then we see her glare at a stranger while she is feeling very sad for the loss of her father, to her getting in a taxi with a stranger with absolutely no reason (there were still buses there that would have come later, her friend says so herself) and she ends up being grateful for being in the presence of Jared for no reason at all. I mean she examines him, and she says that she is grateful that Jared provided such distraction from her father's death an hour ago. They don't even talk on the taxi ride home!Then there are the other characters. I could use the whole book as an example of unrealistic character emotions/dialogue. But alas, I am going to end with Beth. She is in the middle of encouraging Nina to liaise with Jared, who is practically a stranger they know nothing about and this is what she says:"Can’t you just be with him and forget about the rest?” [Beth]“Be with him how? I don’t even know where he lives. I don’t know his phone number, if he’s right or left-handed, or his birthday…I don’t knowanything about him,” I said, disgusted with my predicament.“I’ve seen you two together. It will all work out,” she smiled.And this continues throughout the book.