feminista

Feminista

Hi everyone! I used to be a former Goodreads lover. Who has decided to move to BookLikes due to the recent changes to the GR site: that is, the decision of the management to delete reviews that talk about bad author behaviour.

It is important that we know of bad author behaviour and actions. We buy their books. I want to know whether Author A has decided to harass Reviewer A or encouraged fans to stalk Reviewer B.

I want to know this, the same way I wanted to know that a well known sporting good company had been using child labour in the production of some of its products. The same way the WHOLE WORLD wanted to know.

It is irrelevant that the author writes well, or that the said sporting good company produces good quality sporting goods. Our ethics and morals MATTER!

Now to discuss my reading habits:

I am very picky when it comes to books. I am a feminist and I think that shows in my reading list.

There are many things that bug me to death. But I'll always make an exception if the boy-girl standard is reversed. Dear world, that is MY double standard. I respect and champion authors who have the guts to do something different.

Firstly, I hate infidelity in novels.

Secondly, I hate it when the heroine is a virgin and the guy is an expert and skilled lover. I hate it when the heroine, for fated reasons, saves herself for someone who has been sowing his oats. It's not only overdone, old-fashioned and pathetic, but it also grosses me out like he is violating something so sacrosanct.

Thirdly, I might enjoy the occasional alpha-hero tendencies, but my true love lies with beta-heroes. Guys who are loving and sweet. Who don't feel the need to push around their women to make themselves feel more manly.

Feminista's bookshelf: read

Death, and the Girl He Loves
tagged: ya-and-new-adult and urban-fantasy
The Loneliest Alpha
Hard to Handle
2 of 5 stars
Rating: 2 out of 5. Sadie Howard is a serial dater who never goes out with a guy on more than one date, but then sometimes she breaks her rules... Aiden Downey found out that his mother was dying and even though he was in a relationship...
tagged: contemporary-romance and arc
Mine to Hold
3 of 5 stars
Rating: 3 out of 5. Claire Kramer from Mine to Keep has been a victim of an obsessed lover in the past. It is also a past that she can’t seem to get away from. Noah York, from the previous books, is Trace’s friend. He was a part of those...
tagged: arc and romantic-suspense
The Care and Feeding of Stray Vampires
Rating: 3.5 out of 5.
Alpha Instinct
3 of 5 stars
Rating: 3 out of 5. I have been wanting to read this book for ages. But I had the wrong idea in mind. I thought it was an Urban Fantasy novel. Probably because of the cover of a female. But it is a paranormal romance. As far as parano...
Never Love a Cowboy
tagged: historical-romance

goodreads.com

Feminista's quotes

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Feminista has completed her goal of reading 200 books in 2013!
hide
Prince of Shadows - Nancy Gideon Review to come closer to the date.Before I start this review, I have to say that I am a big fan of Nancy Gideon. I have read the previous book in the series and one of Charlotte Caissie’s book, out of order, but I loved it. So when I received this book as an ARC, it went straight to the top of my pile. It goes without saying that I was pretty disappointed with this book (points to the rating). Anyone who follows my reviews knows how much weight I put on the characters in the book. The hero and/or heroine either make or break a book for me. In this book I hated both the hero and the heroine.Cale, the Terriot Prince, in a race to become their King, can only do so if he marries Kendra. We can all see potential problems here, right? The fact that marriage/mating to Kendra will bring him the leadership he wants, in itself is not a problem, because I am fine with killing two birds with one stone – be with the woman he loves and get the throne he wants, awesome! If it was a mercenary thing, I would have wanted him to prove his love for her, not just through words but actions. But what he does is, he thinks about how much he wants her and for how long he has wanted to make her mine, that he would do anything for her. When it came to putting those words in action, he FAILED in every aspect. I didn’t believe that he loved her, not one bit. This guy has been sleeping around for years. Not just with strangers he will never see, but with women in his clan, that he KNOWS his future queen would have to face every single day. This book was one whole bag of contradictions. If the hero was so determined to make her his queen since twenty years past, then why did he put her in a position of humiliation where everyone snickers at the fact that what the heroine is getting has already been gotten by scores of other women that she will have to see every single freaking day of her life? Did he think about her discomfort? Nope, our hero was only just concerned with his needs and sowing his oats before settling down. So, a scene after Cale proposes her/asks to mate – he is lying there, accepting of the fact that another woman will have sex with him, because of their ‘business arrangement’. While it wasn’t completely willing, the arrangement wasn’t so pressing that he couldn’t tell her to get lost, especially when he does so a few days later. It was such a bunch of bullshit, I mean how dare he ask to mate with Kendra, and then almost accept sex from another woman, which only didn’t happen because the FEMALE stopped. What would he have done if it was Kendra, sweet virginal Kendra sleeping with someone else. Would it have been okay? I think not. What a hypocrite.The heroine, on the other hand, doesn’t know that he almost accepted having sex with the other female, but she soon realises that they have history. There was this one scene, where the other female, during lunch was like, everyone who has had sex with the hero, put your hands up. Almost all the women did, including ones that were mated. The heroine was understandably humiliated. The hero ultimately put her in that position. Then when she sees the hero again, she just asks him once whether he slept with all those women. The hero SMILES in response, because he thinks that it’s CUTE that she is jealous, and then he unashamedly looks her in the eye and says that it was just sex with them, but that she is really the one that he wants. She then smiles in response, mollified that she is the only one for him. Yeah right! Her and about a hundred other women. Cue the happy-ending music!And then we have a scene where he WILLINGLY grinds with another woman in a club. I mean wtf, did you not just say that everything you have done up to this point in your life was for Kendra, was this grinding business for her too? Oh, and when she goes to dance with another guy, he gets all protective. Ugh. Then he thinks how he has never met a woman whose knees he couldn’t spread by making eye contact. I really started to hate this guy by this stage.The thing is, I would have been fine if he didn’t make her promises. Like I’ll only ever be yours – LIE.. Or only you matter, then why the hell were you sleeping around for years. Such meaningless words. I don’t even understand the point. I am not sure why readers would even be flattered by those words? Then Kendra acts as if she is in the wrong. Because she gets jealous over seeing him with the other female. I mean why the hell wouldn’t you be angry when you see a man who just accepted you as his mate, sneaking around less than 24 hours later with a woman he has slept with. Then another half a day later, he is out partying it out with every woman in the bar all because Kendra said she wasn’t ready to have sex with him. Oh but all that grinding was okay, because his thought was just on that one woman?!?! He says he won’t hurt her, then he does this, or even he goes far enough to provokingly mention that he has friends and allies amongst females, allies because he has seen them all naked, and not friends of hers because they have all seen him naked. He is such a douchebag. There is another scene, where he screams at his mother in her own house, telling her that she wouldn’t have this house if it weren’t for him. All because his mother told him not to take that tone with her. Then, we realise that even his mother doesn’t trust him, because she asks Kendra whether he has hurt her!!! When I started this review, I mentioned that I AM a big fan of Nancy Gideon (present tense). I still am, even though this book was horrible for me. I have been wanting to read the previous books in her series, and I still want to. While this book has been a disappointment for me, I won’t let it ruin others.ARC courtesy of Edelweiss and Simon & Shuster