feminista

Feminista

Hi everyone! I used to be a former Goodreads lover. Who has decided to move to BookLikes due to the recent changes to the GR site: that is, the decision of the management to delete reviews that talk about bad author behaviour.

It is important that we know of bad author behaviour and actions. We buy their books. I want to know whether Author A has decided to harass Reviewer A or encouraged fans to stalk Reviewer B.

I want to know this, the same way I wanted to know that a well known sporting good company had been using child labour in the production of some of its products. The same way the WHOLE WORLD wanted to know.

It is irrelevant that the author writes well, or that the said sporting good company produces good quality sporting goods. Our ethics and morals MATTER!

Now to discuss my reading habits:

I am very picky when it comes to books. I am a feminist and I think that shows in my reading list.

There are many things that bug me to death. But I'll always make an exception if the boy-girl standard is reversed. Dear world, that is MY double standard. I respect and champion authors who have the guts to do something different.

Firstly, I hate infidelity in novels.

Secondly, I hate it when the heroine is a virgin and the guy is an expert and skilled lover. I hate it when the heroine, for fated reasons, saves herself for someone who has been sowing his oats. It's not only overdone, old-fashioned and pathetic, but it also grosses me out like he is violating something so sacrosanct.

Thirdly, I might enjoy the occasional alpha-hero tendencies, but my true love lies with beta-heroes. Guys who are loving and sweet. Who don't feel the need to push around their women to make themselves feel more manly.

Feminista's bookshelf: read

Death, and the Girl He Loves
tagged: ya-and-new-adult and urban-fantasy
The Loneliest Alpha
Hard to Handle
2 of 5 stars
Rating: 2 out of 5. Sadie Howard is a serial dater who never goes out with a guy on more than one date, but then sometimes she breaks her rules... Aiden Downey found out that his mother was dying and even though he was in a relationship...
tagged: contemporary-romance and arc
Mine to Hold
3 of 5 stars
Rating: 3 out of 5. Claire Kramer from Mine to Keep has been a victim of an obsessed lover in the past. It is also a past that she can’t seem to get away from. Noah York, from the previous books, is Trace’s friend. He was a part of those...
tagged: arc and romantic-suspense
The Care and Feeding of Stray Vampires
Rating: 3.5 out of 5.
Alpha Instinct
3 of 5 stars
Rating: 3 out of 5. I have been wanting to read this book for ages. But I had the wrong idea in mind. I thought it was an Urban Fantasy novel. Probably because of the cover of a female. But it is a paranormal romance. As far as parano...
Never Love a Cowboy
tagged: historical-romance

goodreads.com

Feminista's quotes

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Feminista has completed her goal of reading 200 books in 2013!
hide
Man of the Month - Lisa Scott Rating: 2 out of 5.Jeanne is upset over the fact that she does not have a man and babies on the way. So her friend and ex Brad decides for new year’s resolution, to set her up with a man a month.Jeanne and Brad both have feelings for one another.But Brad can’t be with her because… his father was the town drunk, a mean drunk, and he is afraid that he will have the same meanness in him. I mean this was THE complication in the story. I don’t understand how being a mean drunk is akin to a genetic disease… Especially when the man in question is so vehemently opposed to being a mean person.That aside, I didn’t really like Jeanne. She was so obsessed with having BRAD and having BRAD’s CHILDREN, that she never really gave anyone a chance. There were times when I thought she really deserved being lonely and childless, because she has no right deciding Brad’s life for him. I mean leave the poor guy alone. He doesn’t want to have children, no matter how misguided his reasons are.There is this one scene where they sleep together and just as Brad puts on protection, Jeanne is thinking, right, he doesn’t want babies, what a way to ruin the mood. I was just sitting there thinking, are you serious? You KNOW that he doesn’t want babies, you keep on bringing this up over and over again. Please act like an adult. But alas, it gets worse from there. Brad runs out of protection, so she lies there and “pouts”, trying to convince him to go ahead.So naturally, I love that Brad asks her point blank whether she thought he was kidding about all this stuff and whether she thought one night would change everything. It might sound mean, but nothing else was getting through to this girl.It gets even worse. She decides to set him up with someone else. Then after setting Brad up, she bursts out crying. Not mature at all. Then the weeks that follow, she is bitter and hateful because he dates the girl that she set him up with. It’s amazing how a woman so immature thinks she can handle being a mother. Alas, my suspicions are confirmed when she considers adoption after giving birth to, yup, Brad’s child. She says things like “the baby ruined everything between us” and that’s why she wants to give it up for adoption. Excuse me? YOU ruined everything by LYING to Brad, the baby did NOTHING. ARC Courtesy of Netgalley and BelleBooks.