feminista

Feminista

Hi everyone! I used to be a former Goodreads lover. Who has decided to move to BookLikes due to the recent changes to the GR site: that is, the decision of the management to delete reviews that talk about bad author behaviour.

It is important that we know of bad author behaviour and actions. We buy their books. I want to know whether Author A has decided to harass Reviewer A or encouraged fans to stalk Reviewer B.

I want to know this, the same way I wanted to know that a well known sporting good company had been using child labour in the production of some of its products. The same way the WHOLE WORLD wanted to know.

It is irrelevant that the author writes well, or that the said sporting good company produces good quality sporting goods. Our ethics and morals MATTER!

Now to discuss my reading habits:

I am very picky when it comes to books. I am a feminist and I think that shows in my reading list.

There are many things that bug me to death. But I'll always make an exception if the boy-girl standard is reversed. Dear world, that is MY double standard. I respect and champion authors who have the guts to do something different.

Firstly, I hate infidelity in novels.

Secondly, I hate it when the heroine is a virgin and the guy is an expert and skilled lover. I hate it when the heroine, for fated reasons, saves herself for someone who has been sowing his oats. It's not only overdone, old-fashioned and pathetic, but it also grosses me out like he is violating something so sacrosanct.

Thirdly, I might enjoy the occasional alpha-hero tendencies, but my true love lies with beta-heroes. Guys who are loving and sweet. Who don't feel the need to push around their women to make themselves feel more manly.

Feminista's bookshelf: read

Death, and the Girl He Loves
tagged: ya-and-new-adult and urban-fantasy
The Loneliest Alpha
Hard to Handle
2 of 5 stars
Rating: 2 out of 5. Sadie Howard is a serial dater who never goes out with a guy on more than one date, but then sometimes she breaks her rules... Aiden Downey found out that his mother was dying and even though he was in a relationship...
tagged: contemporary-romance and arc
Mine to Hold
3 of 5 stars
Rating: 3 out of 5. Claire Kramer from Mine to Keep has been a victim of an obsessed lover in the past. It is also a past that she can’t seem to get away from. Noah York, from the previous books, is Trace’s friend. He was a part of those...
tagged: arc and romantic-suspense
The Care and Feeding of Stray Vampires
Rating: 3.5 out of 5.
Alpha Instinct
3 of 5 stars
Rating: 3 out of 5. I have been wanting to read this book for ages. But I had the wrong idea in mind. I thought it was an Urban Fantasy novel. Probably because of the cover of a female. But it is a paranormal romance. As far as parano...
Never Love a Cowboy
tagged: historical-romance

goodreads.com

Feminista's quotes

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Feminista has completed her goal of reading 200 books in 2013!
hide
And One Wore Gray - Heather Graham Rating: 4.5 out of 5.Before I write this review, I want to advise readers that I am not well-versed in American history. I simply know the gist of what happened in the war between the North and South. I however know that slavery is WRONG.So I was understandably appalled when the hero, Daniel Cameron, a Southerner, tries justifying slavery, by saying that so many former slaves would be unemployed, that because the southerners can't afford to pay workers, slavery is an answer to that? He also says that he wishes that it was left to the states to weed out slavery state by state, that it would have happened gradually. Umm, gradually isn't good enough. Even then, when generations of lifestyle involves using slaves, how easily will people be willing to give up that lifestyle? It was just really appalling and shocking.What I respected, however, was how Heather Graham tries to show the less popular side of this war. There was another author, who shall not be named, who wrote a historical romance during this war, and the novel was based in the southern states. Anyway, there was no mention of slaves or slavery. I think part of the reason is because this is such a sensitive topic. But while I respected Heather Graham's story-telling, I wished she had made the heroine more assertive. Hell even a little bit aggressive? I think this situation calls for a bit of aggression. I am not saying I wanted the heroine to be violent, but that I wished she was more passionate about HER Yankee views. That is not to say that she was completely passive, she was not, I just wanted a bit more action/words on her part.But other than that, everything else was lovely. I loved how the author nurtured a beautiful love story between two enemies. The distrust, suspicion and so many other emotions standing between these two people.ARC Courtesy of NetGalley and Random House Publishing.