feminista

Feminista

Hi everyone! I used to be a former Goodreads lover. Who has decided to move to BookLikes due to the recent changes to the GR site: that is, the decision of the management to delete reviews that talk about bad author behaviour.

It is important that we know of bad author behaviour and actions. We buy their books. I want to know whether Author A has decided to harass Reviewer A or encouraged fans to stalk Reviewer B.

I want to know this, the same way I wanted to know that a well known sporting good company had been using child labour in the production of some of its products. The same way the WHOLE WORLD wanted to know.

It is irrelevant that the author writes well, or that the said sporting good company produces good quality sporting goods. Our ethics and morals MATTER!

Now to discuss my reading habits:

I am very picky when it comes to books. I am a feminist and I think that shows in my reading list.

There are many things that bug me to death. But I'll always make an exception if the boy-girl standard is reversed. Dear world, that is MY double standard. I respect and champion authors who have the guts to do something different.

Firstly, I hate infidelity in novels.

Secondly, I hate it when the heroine is a virgin and the guy is an expert and skilled lover. I hate it when the heroine, for fated reasons, saves herself for someone who has been sowing his oats. It's not only overdone, old-fashioned and pathetic, but it also grosses me out like he is violating something so sacrosanct.

Thirdly, I might enjoy the occasional alpha-hero tendencies, but my true love lies with beta-heroes. Guys who are loving and sweet. Who don't feel the need to push around their women to make themselves feel more manly.

Feminista's bookshelf: read

Death, and the Girl He Loves
tagged: ya-and-new-adult and urban-fantasy
The Loneliest Alpha
Hard to Handle
2 of 5 stars
Rating: 2 out of 5. Sadie Howard is a serial dater who never goes out with a guy on more than one date, but then sometimes she breaks her rules... Aiden Downey found out that his mother was dying and even though he was in a relationship...
tagged: contemporary-romance and arc
Mine to Hold
3 of 5 stars
Rating: 3 out of 5. Claire Kramer from Mine to Keep has been a victim of an obsessed lover in the past. It is also a past that she can’t seem to get away from. Noah York, from the previous books, is Trace’s friend. He was a part of those...
tagged: arc and romantic-suspense
The Care and Feeding of Stray Vampires
Rating: 3.5 out of 5.
Alpha Instinct
3 of 5 stars
Rating: 3 out of 5. I have been wanting to read this book for ages. But I had the wrong idea in mind. I thought it was an Urban Fantasy novel. Probably because of the cover of a female. But it is a paranormal romance. As far as parano...
Never Love a Cowboy
tagged: historical-romance

goodreads.com

Feminista's quotes

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Feminista has completed her goal of reading 200 books in 2013!
hide
The Hedgewitch Queen (Romances of Arquitaine, #1 ) - Lilith Saintcrow Rating: 4.5 out of 5.Lilith Saintcrow’s character and world building has always been my favourite. From my first read of Dante Valentine and the UF world she created to this fantasy duology, I am still quite impressed by her. She creates not only the worlds, but also other little nuances (such as new words, different countries, new objects and so forth) that make for a richer setting but that many authors do not employ.So in this novel, I was equally if not more impressed with her setting and description, than I was at first.Now for the characters. It is a beautiful love story. The story of a lady waiting on the Princess’s and the King’s Left Hand, Assasin, you name it. Add in a conspiracy that wreathes through several layers, whose mystery is not even fully founded by the end of the book.Having said that, I think I got too used to this author’s naturally born strong heroines, because Vianne was in the beginning a bit too weak for my tastes. She was brave but she thought too much and twisted herself in circles. Nevertheless, Lilith Saintcrow does a great job of transforming a court lady interested only in books and hedge-witchery to a strong, independent, regal Queen by the end of the book. I couldn’t explain how proud I was of Vianne by the end of the book. She is exactly as a leader should be, strong when needed, but also loving.Anyway, the ending blew me away. No not the ending even, but the glimpse of the first two pages of the next book: The Bandit King… I am so glad I already have the next book purchased and waiting for me on my kindle. So now I shall be off to read it!