feminista

Feminista

Hi everyone! I used to be a former Goodreads lover. Who has decided to move to BookLikes due to the recent changes to the GR site: that is, the decision of the management to delete reviews that talk about bad author behaviour.

It is important that we know of bad author behaviour and actions. We buy their books. I want to know whether Author A has decided to harass Reviewer A or encouraged fans to stalk Reviewer B.

I want to know this, the same way I wanted to know that a well known sporting good company had been using child labour in the production of some of its products. The same way the WHOLE WORLD wanted to know.

It is irrelevant that the author writes well, or that the said sporting good company produces good quality sporting goods. Our ethics and morals MATTER!

Now to discuss my reading habits:

I am very picky when it comes to books. I am a feminist and I think that shows in my reading list.

There are many things that bug me to death. But I'll always make an exception if the boy-girl standard is reversed. Dear world, that is MY double standard. I respect and champion authors who have the guts to do something different.

Firstly, I hate infidelity in novels.

Secondly, I hate it when the heroine is a virgin and the guy is an expert and skilled lover. I hate it when the heroine, for fated reasons, saves herself for someone who has been sowing his oats. It's not only overdone, old-fashioned and pathetic, but it also grosses me out like he is violating something so sacrosanct.

Thirdly, I might enjoy the occasional alpha-hero tendencies, but my true love lies with beta-heroes. Guys who are loving and sweet. Who don't feel the need to push around their women to make themselves feel more manly.

Feminista's bookshelf: read

Death, and the Girl He Loves
tagged: ya-and-new-adult and urban-fantasy
The Loneliest Alpha
Hard to Handle
2 of 5 stars
Rating: 2 out of 5. Sadie Howard is a serial dater who never goes out with a guy on more than one date, but then sometimes she breaks her rules... Aiden Downey found out that his mother was dying and even though he was in a relationship...
tagged: contemporary-romance and arc
Mine to Hold
3 of 5 stars
Rating: 3 out of 5. Claire Kramer from Mine to Keep has been a victim of an obsessed lover in the past. It is also a past that she can’t seem to get away from. Noah York, from the previous books, is Trace’s friend. He was a part of those...
tagged: arc and romantic-suspense
The Care and Feeding of Stray Vampires
Rating: 3.5 out of 5.
Alpha Instinct
3 of 5 stars
Rating: 3 out of 5. I have been wanting to read this book for ages. But I had the wrong idea in mind. I thought it was an Urban Fantasy novel. Probably because of the cover of a female. But it is a paranormal romance. As far as parano...
Never Love a Cowboy
tagged: historical-romance

goodreads.com

Feminista's quotes

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Feminista has completed her goal of reading 200 books in 2013!
hide
Pursuit - Caitlyn Nicholas Rating: 4 out of 5.I was going through my Kindle app wondering which book to read next, when I accidentally pressed this book.So I thought, why not? I'll go ahead and read this one.From the first couple of chapters I WAS HOOKED.Dimity Pond is a genius. An Australian born hacker in the U.K., she is on the run from the authorities. Framed for the collapse of Easy Bank and causing widespread panic, she has the status of a cyber terrorist. We start the story, as Dimity's "fake" life starts to fall apart. Her husband, she finds out is a bigamist. If that isn't enough, we find out that the Nemesis, her framer, is still after her and has been sending her threatening emails and phone calls.Caught in a web to destroy the Bunker (a disaster recovery centre), she finds herself in Pursuit from Lord Richard Summerhayes, the owner of the bunker, and a man who was always very aware of Dimity's presence and true name.This book had brilliant three-dimensional characters. The protagonist herself was a complex character. Being framed for such a thing has caused her emotional and mental problems. Distrust and fear are her constant companion throughout the book. Richard Summerhayes is a wonderful hero. The author takes her time developing their relationship. I like that it wasn't instantaneous love-at-first-sight. It made the novel so much more realistic and relate-able. There was one thing, however, that I didn't like very much. I didn't like how Dimity was able to be friends with Kitty after what she had done. I didn't think it was realistic. It is one thing to be able to move on from a guy once you realise that he is a jerk and that you never loved him in the first place. But it is a completely different thing to forgive people like or to even act like nothing ever happened after the first outbreak. Why didn't we get to see Dimity laying it into Kitty properly? Yes, there is a disaster ahead and there isn't any time for personal fights. But afterwards? It was like it was completely forgiven if not forgotten.It was reiterated that Kitty is Dimity's friend. But the fact is, FRIEND'S DON'T DO THAT TO ONE ANOTHER. It is a BIG no no. If friends can't mind that rule, than there is little difference between friends and enemies. Hell I wouldn't even be able betray someone I hated, to that extent.And don't even get me started on Jake. Firstly, I was glad that we got to see so little of him and Kitty. But regardless, I hated the whole he-is-a-changed-man scenario. It was like just because bad things happened to him, it is easier to forgive and forget his intentional and continuing sins? Well that sure doesn't change the past...ARC Courtesy of NetGalley and Momentum Books.