feminista

Feminista

Hi everyone! I used to be a former Goodreads lover. Who has decided to move to BookLikes due to the recent changes to the GR site: that is, the decision of the management to delete reviews that talk about bad author behaviour.

It is important that we know of bad author behaviour and actions. We buy their books. I want to know whether Author A has decided to harass Reviewer A or encouraged fans to stalk Reviewer B.

I want to know this, the same way I wanted to know that a well known sporting good company had been using child labour in the production of some of its products. The same way the WHOLE WORLD wanted to know.

It is irrelevant that the author writes well, or that the said sporting good company produces good quality sporting goods. Our ethics and morals MATTER!

Now to discuss my reading habits:

I am very picky when it comes to books. I am a feminist and I think that shows in my reading list.

There are many things that bug me to death. But I'll always make an exception if the boy-girl standard is reversed. Dear world, that is MY double standard. I respect and champion authors who have the guts to do something different.

Firstly, I hate infidelity in novels.

Secondly, I hate it when the heroine is a virgin and the guy is an expert and skilled lover. I hate it when the heroine, for fated reasons, saves herself for someone who has been sowing his oats. It's not only overdone, old-fashioned and pathetic, but it also grosses me out like he is violating something so sacrosanct.

Thirdly, I might enjoy the occasional alpha-hero tendencies, but my true love lies with beta-heroes. Guys who are loving and sweet. Who don't feel the need to push around their women to make themselves feel more manly.

Feminista's bookshelf: read

Death, and the Girl He Loves
tagged: ya-and-new-adult and urban-fantasy
The Loneliest Alpha
Hard to Handle
2 of 5 stars
Rating: 2 out of 5. Sadie Howard is a serial dater who never goes out with a guy on more than one date, but then sometimes she breaks her rules... Aiden Downey found out that his mother was dying and even though he was in a relationship...
tagged: contemporary-romance and arc
Mine to Hold
3 of 5 stars
Rating: 3 out of 5. Claire Kramer from Mine to Keep has been a victim of an obsessed lover in the past. It is also a past that she can’t seem to get away from. Noah York, from the previous books, is Trace’s friend. He was a part of those...
tagged: arc and romantic-suspense
The Care and Feeding of Stray Vampires
Rating: 3.5 out of 5.
Alpha Instinct
3 of 5 stars
Rating: 3 out of 5. I have been wanting to read this book for ages. But I had the wrong idea in mind. I thought it was an Urban Fantasy novel. Probably because of the cover of a female. But it is a paranormal romance. As far as parano...
Never Love a Cowboy
tagged: historical-romance

goodreads.com

Feminista's quotes

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Feminista has completed her goal of reading 200 books in 2013!
hide

Twice Dead (Novels of Haven Series #2)

Twice Dead - Kalayna Price There are some books in the world that are simply beyond words - a rare gem. Being an avid reader, I can say that, although I have started to give out five stars more frequently, not all of them have captured me as intensely as Kalayna Price does with her books.This author has managed to keep me enthralled, engaged and desperate for her books. Her story lines are amazing, her characters are amazing, albeit some flaws presented in them. But really guys, if we wanted to read about flawless, perfect, beautiful characters, we would be reading Snow White, Cinderella and all the other fairytales, over and over again.Having said that, I understand that some people might not like this story. But each to his/her own. I digress.There are a lot of good things about the story, such as the active plot, which kept me engaged in the happenings of Kita's world, but also the characters. Now like I said, some of the characters have flaws. Like Kita has the tendency to make Nathaniel literally beg before she did something he asks her to do. It got a little bit annoying, but I understood that their relationship wasn't something Kita immediately liked or enjoyed. But it sort of developed through the story. Yes Kita still gets agitated when Nathaniel touches her, which he did constantly throughout the book. I found that after the initial annoyance passed, I actually quite enjoyed reading about a girl as stubborn as Kita. It is all too often that protagonists throw their sensibilities to the wind and bid as their heroes tell them to. A reason why I moved to the Urban Fantasy genre, is because the females here are a bit more independent and strong than most of the other genres. But even here it happens, in a lot of the books, through little subtle actions and words. So yes, in a sense it was refreshing to read about Kita, who no matter how sweet Nathaniel was, didn't want to start a relationship with him.Okay, that is where the serious bit of my review finished, now on to more dreamy material.So now we go on to my favourite character. Nathaniel (sigh). Seriously, if I met a man like him in real life, so sweet, caring and beautiful in every sense of the word, I will handcuff him to me and drag him down the aisle. I am so sick of heroes being bad-boy, alpha-males who don't listen to any one else, the reformed rake, players and what not. I don't find them attractive any more. Nothing can turn me off a book faster, than a male with characteristics mentioned. So here we have someone who is honest, caring and an unbelievably good man, and for the first time in my life, I am happy.I hope Kalayna Price continues on with her good work, in both Kita's stories and in the Alex Craft series.