feminista

Feminista

Hi everyone! I used to be a former Goodreads lover. Who has decided to move to BookLikes due to the recent changes to the GR site: that is, the decision of the management to delete reviews that talk about bad author behaviour.

It is important that we know of bad author behaviour and actions. We buy their books. I want to know whether Author A has decided to harass Reviewer A or encouraged fans to stalk Reviewer B.

I want to know this, the same way I wanted to know that a well known sporting good company had been using child labour in the production of some of its products. The same way the WHOLE WORLD wanted to know.

It is irrelevant that the author writes well, or that the said sporting good company produces good quality sporting goods. Our ethics and morals MATTER!

Now to discuss my reading habits:

I am very picky when it comes to books. I am a feminist and I think that shows in my reading list.

There are many things that bug me to death. But I'll always make an exception if the boy-girl standard is reversed. Dear world, that is MY double standard. I respect and champion authors who have the guts to do something different.

Firstly, I hate infidelity in novels.

Secondly, I hate it when the heroine is a virgin and the guy is an expert and skilled lover. I hate it when the heroine, for fated reasons, saves herself for someone who has been sowing his oats. It's not only overdone, old-fashioned and pathetic, but it also grosses me out like he is violating something so sacrosanct.

Thirdly, I might enjoy the occasional alpha-hero tendencies, but my true love lies with beta-heroes. Guys who are loving and sweet. Who don't feel the need to push around their women to make themselves feel more manly.

Feminista's bookshelf: read

Death, and the Girl He Loves
tagged: ya-and-new-adult and urban-fantasy
The Loneliest Alpha
Hard to Handle
2 of 5 stars
Rating: 2 out of 5. Sadie Howard is a serial dater who never goes out with a guy on more than one date, but then sometimes she breaks her rules... Aiden Downey found out that his mother was dying and even though he was in a relationship...
tagged: contemporary-romance and arc
Mine to Hold
3 of 5 stars
Rating: 3 out of 5. Claire Kramer from Mine to Keep has been a victim of an obsessed lover in the past. It is also a past that she can’t seem to get away from. Noah York, from the previous books, is Trace’s friend. He was a part of those...
tagged: arc and romantic-suspense
The Care and Feeding of Stray Vampires
Rating: 3.5 out of 5.
Alpha Instinct
3 of 5 stars
Rating: 3 out of 5. I have been wanting to read this book for ages. But I had the wrong idea in mind. I thought it was an Urban Fantasy novel. Probably because of the cover of a female. But it is a paranormal romance. As far as parano...
Never Love a Cowboy
tagged: historical-romance

goodreads.com

Feminista's quotes

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Feminista has completed her goal of reading 200 books in 2013!
hide
A Vampire's Salvation (Beyond Human #1) - Virna DePaul Rating: 2 out of 5.A Vampire’s Salvation by Virna DePaulThis novel got to me in several ways. First and foremost is how Francesca is depicted as a heroine who is very steadfast in her resolution to keep away from men (yup, this was another one of those novels where the heroine has been burned before, and as such, chaste for all her adult life, while the hero for whom she breaks the chastity, enjoys women’s bodies extensively) but the moment she sees the hero, she is eager to have him. So anyways, the double standard notwithstanding, I found her eagerness really annoying. Eagerness does not even cover how she throws herself at him. She acts like a teenager, blushing, and heat repetitively coursing through her body. Sigh. I also hated how sweeping statements were made with regards to women. So firstly, Francesca thinks to herself that masturbation is often the only way to take care of women’s needs. I was like wtf? Just because you have chosen to refrain from having sex, DO NOT comment on the general women population. The backhanded notion from that comment is that, while women might masturbate, men don’t have to, they can go find the real thing, and it’s alright for them?!?! That’s what I found that that comment was telling me. But the other notion related to that is, it takes two to tango, so who is the hero doing it with (presuming it is not with other men) and does that mean that the women they do it with are not ‘real women’ but something inferior.Secondly, the hero thinks to himself, that she is not a slut, and won’t have sex with me before I can make my way into her heart (little does he know that she is planning on seducing him just for sex, but that’s beside the point). The point is that this hero has been sleeping with women for centuries. Is he saying that those women he slept with are sluts, because most of them presumably didn’t care to emotionally connect with him before sleeping with him?ARC courtesy of NetGalley and Loveswept.