feminista

Feminista

Hi everyone! I used to be a former Goodreads lover. Who has decided to move to BookLikes due to the recent changes to the GR site: that is, the decision of the management to delete reviews that talk about bad author behaviour.

It is important that we know of bad author behaviour and actions. We buy their books. I want to know whether Author A has decided to harass Reviewer A or encouraged fans to stalk Reviewer B.

I want to know this, the same way I wanted to know that a well known sporting good company had been using child labour in the production of some of its products. The same way the WHOLE WORLD wanted to know.

It is irrelevant that the author writes well, or that the said sporting good company produces good quality sporting goods. Our ethics and morals MATTER!

Now to discuss my reading habits:

I am very picky when it comes to books. I am a feminist and I think that shows in my reading list.

There are many things that bug me to death. But I'll always make an exception if the boy-girl standard is reversed. Dear world, that is MY double standard. I respect and champion authors who have the guts to do something different.

Firstly, I hate infidelity in novels.

Secondly, I hate it when the heroine is a virgin and the guy is an expert and skilled lover. I hate it when the heroine, for fated reasons, saves herself for someone who has been sowing his oats. It's not only overdone, old-fashioned and pathetic, but it also grosses me out like he is violating something so sacrosanct.

Thirdly, I might enjoy the occasional alpha-hero tendencies, but my true love lies with beta-heroes. Guys who are loving and sweet. Who don't feel the need to push around their women to make themselves feel more manly.

Feminista's bookshelf: read

Death, and the Girl He Loves
tagged: ya-and-new-adult and urban-fantasy
The Loneliest Alpha
Hard to Handle
2 of 5 stars
Rating: 2 out of 5. Sadie Howard is a serial dater who never goes out with a guy on more than one date, but then sometimes she breaks her rules... Aiden Downey found out that his mother was dying and even though he was in a relationship...
tagged: contemporary-romance and arc
Mine to Hold
3 of 5 stars
Rating: 3 out of 5. Claire Kramer from Mine to Keep has been a victim of an obsessed lover in the past. It is also a past that she can’t seem to get away from. Noah York, from the previous books, is Trace’s friend. He was a part of those...
tagged: arc and romantic-suspense
The Care and Feeding of Stray Vampires
Rating: 3.5 out of 5.
Alpha Instinct
3 of 5 stars
Rating: 3 out of 5. I have been wanting to read this book for ages. But I had the wrong idea in mind. I thought it was an Urban Fantasy novel. Probably because of the cover of a female. But it is a paranormal romance. As far as parano...
Never Love a Cowboy
tagged: historical-romance

goodreads.com

Feminista's quotes

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Feminista has completed her goal of reading 200 books in 2013!
hide

Inferno's Kiss

Inferno's Kiss - Monica Burns Inferno's Kiss was unbelievable. To be honest, upon reading the excerpt previous to having read the book, I loved the idea of Atia and Marcus. They were the ones who had my attention. But then came Dante... He is hands down, one of the best male characters I have ever read about. He is an intriguing mixture of a man in authority and of innocence. Also, there is his devotion and might I say (SPOILER) love for Cleo. And then there is Cleo. She is one of the most hardened characters in this 'Order of the Sicari' series. An incident three years ago leaves her physically and mentally scarred. Add on to that, how her then partner Michael leaves her at a vulnerable moment, and you have yourselves one of the best trained assassins of the Sicari. She pushes herself to do the best, but she also won't let others, especially someone in authority like Dante, push her around. After a while though, her stubbornness frustrated me.This review won't feel right if I don't mention Atia and Marcus, since their story parallels Cleo's and Dante's in this book. So here we go. With regard to their relationship there was a distinct lack in devotion that exists between Dante and Cleo. That caught me by surprise. Their estrangement (as we find out more clearly in the second book) was a product of their own fault. They both needn't have pushed the other away. Furthermore, for Marcus, his dedication to the Sicari always trumped his devotion to Atia. Now don't get me wrong, yes he is a Sicari Lord, but to the extent that his wife felt like she needed to hide secrets from him because she knew he would blame her because he was so set in his views, isn't something I could appreciate. But the author addresses that, more importantly Marcus addresses that. To say the least, the parallel of this story to Dante's gives us a clear view where Marcus' relationship is lacking.There was also something else I didn't like. Now this is a huge spoiler. So please don't read this if you want to be surprised. But I knew something was wrong from chapter 3 in this book. So here it goes...It was how the author got rid of Ignacio. It reminded me of how Suzanne Collins in the Hunger Games got rid of Gale in the third book. By making him do-something/be-a-part-of-something that was utterly unforgivable. It was enough to make me consider strongly, to give this book a four star rating. It would suffice to say that I don't like it when authors who have loose ends with regards to characters in a sort of a love-triangle, find a way to get rid of the third character, for good, maybe because they fear readers won't feel satisfied otherwise. Regardless of their reasons, it is something that made me really frustrated and annoyed. And like I said, I knew where this was going from Chapter 3 of this book.So with regards to the rating, I thought about it and realised that the book is called Inferno's kiss in reference to Dante's Inferno. It is more prevalently Dante's and Cleo's story than it is Atia's and Marcus'. So only on the basis that the former relationship was developed so well, I gave this whole book a rating of five stars.