feminista

Feminista

Hi everyone! I used to be a former Goodreads lover. Who has decided to move to BookLikes due to the recent changes to the GR site: that is, the decision of the management to delete reviews that talk about bad author behaviour.

It is important that we know of bad author behaviour and actions. We buy their books. I want to know whether Author A has decided to harass Reviewer A or encouraged fans to stalk Reviewer B.

I want to know this, the same way I wanted to know that a well known sporting good company had been using child labour in the production of some of its products. The same way the WHOLE WORLD wanted to know.

It is irrelevant that the author writes well, or that the said sporting good company produces good quality sporting goods. Our ethics and morals MATTER!

Now to discuss my reading habits:

I am very picky when it comes to books. I am a feminist and I think that shows in my reading list.

There are many things that bug me to death. But I'll always make an exception if the boy-girl standard is reversed. Dear world, that is MY double standard. I respect and champion authors who have the guts to do something different.

Firstly, I hate infidelity in novels.

Secondly, I hate it when the heroine is a virgin and the guy is an expert and skilled lover. I hate it when the heroine, for fated reasons, saves herself for someone who has been sowing his oats. It's not only overdone, old-fashioned and pathetic, but it also grosses me out like he is violating something so sacrosanct.

Thirdly, I might enjoy the occasional alpha-hero tendencies, but my true love lies with beta-heroes. Guys who are loving and sweet. Who don't feel the need to push around their women to make themselves feel more manly.

Feminista's bookshelf: read

Death, and the Girl He Loves
tagged: ya-and-new-adult and urban-fantasy
The Loneliest Alpha
Hard to Handle
2 of 5 stars
Rating: 2 out of 5. Sadie Howard is a serial dater who never goes out with a guy on more than one date, but then sometimes she breaks her rules... Aiden Downey found out that his mother was dying and even though he was in a relationship...
tagged: contemporary-romance and arc
Mine to Hold
3 of 5 stars
Rating: 3 out of 5. Claire Kramer from Mine to Keep has been a victim of an obsessed lover in the past. It is also a past that she can’t seem to get away from. Noah York, from the previous books, is Trace’s friend. He was a part of those...
tagged: arc and romantic-suspense
The Care and Feeding of Stray Vampires
Rating: 3.5 out of 5.
Alpha Instinct
3 of 5 stars
Rating: 3 out of 5. I have been wanting to read this book for ages. But I had the wrong idea in mind. I thought it was an Urban Fantasy novel. Probably because of the cover of a female. But it is a paranormal romance. As far as parano...
Never Love a Cowboy
tagged: historical-romance

goodreads.com

Feminista's quotes

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Feminista has completed her goal of reading 200 books in 2013!
hide
Lightning Rider - Jen Greyson Rating: 2.5 out of 5.Evy comes from a line of lightning riders who time-travel. Usually, this ability is passed from father to son, but Evy is the first female to get this power.The story was different and had an interesting premise.There were several things in this story that didn’t appeal to me. Firstly, I didn’t like how more questions were asked then answered. Especially since I, as a reader, was introduced to a foreign world/idea. This made reading the book, a bit confusing.Secondly, I found Evy’s relationship with her father unusual to say the least. I found it a bit disturbing how she appreciates her father’s body once it becomes younger, especially when she knew it was her father. Of course, that’s just me and my opinion; it might be acceptable by other people’s standards. The flirting at first was not intentional, she didn’t recognise him then. But it didn’t make sense, how a minute later when her Papi was looking at himself at the mirror; she tells him that he looks like himself in his boxing days. Shouldn’t there have been at least some recognition when she first sees her father. Also, she was so obedient when it came to listening to her father. Apparently she had only fought with her dad, once prior, and that was when she was twelve years old. She got laughed at in school because she was always seeking approval from her father. I personally didn’t value such a trait in a grown adult woman. There is this part where she gets introduced to the guide, she keeps on interrupting and her father keeps on scolding her, which in itself was really annoying, but what was worse was that she listened to him every time he told her to keep quiet. ARC Courtesy of NetGalley and The Writer's Coffee Shop Publishing House