feminista

Feminista

Hi everyone! I used to be a former Goodreads lover. Who has decided to move to BookLikes due to the recent changes to the GR site: that is, the decision of the management to delete reviews that talk about bad author behaviour.

It is important that we know of bad author behaviour and actions. We buy their books. I want to know whether Author A has decided to harass Reviewer A or encouraged fans to stalk Reviewer B.

I want to know this, the same way I wanted to know that a well known sporting good company had been using child labour in the production of some of its products. The same way the WHOLE WORLD wanted to know.

It is irrelevant that the author writes well, or that the said sporting good company produces good quality sporting goods. Our ethics and morals MATTER!

Now to discuss my reading habits:

I am very picky when it comes to books. I am a feminist and I think that shows in my reading list.

There are many things that bug me to death. But I'll always make an exception if the boy-girl standard is reversed. Dear world, that is MY double standard. I respect and champion authors who have the guts to do something different.

Firstly, I hate infidelity in novels.

Secondly, I hate it when the heroine is a virgin and the guy is an expert and skilled lover. I hate it when the heroine, for fated reasons, saves herself for someone who has been sowing his oats. It's not only overdone, old-fashioned and pathetic, but it also grosses me out like he is violating something so sacrosanct.

Thirdly, I might enjoy the occasional alpha-hero tendencies, but my true love lies with beta-heroes. Guys who are loving and sweet. Who don't feel the need to push around their women to make themselves feel more manly.

Feminista's bookshelf: read

Death, and the Girl He Loves
tagged: ya-and-new-adult and urban-fantasy
The Loneliest Alpha
Hard to Handle
2 of 5 stars
Rating: 2 out of 5. Sadie Howard is a serial dater who never goes out with a guy on more than one date, but then sometimes she breaks her rules... Aiden Downey found out that his mother was dying and even though he was in a relationship...
tagged: contemporary-romance and arc
Mine to Hold
3 of 5 stars
Rating: 3 out of 5. Claire Kramer from Mine to Keep has been a victim of an obsessed lover in the past. It is also a past that she can’t seem to get away from. Noah York, from the previous books, is Trace’s friend. He was a part of those...
tagged: arc and romantic-suspense
The Care and Feeding of Stray Vampires
Rating: 3.5 out of 5.
Alpha Instinct
3 of 5 stars
Rating: 3 out of 5. I have been wanting to read this book for ages. But I had the wrong idea in mind. I thought it was an Urban Fantasy novel. Probably because of the cover of a female. But it is a paranormal romance. As far as parano...
Never Love a Cowboy
tagged: historical-romance

goodreads.com

Feminista's quotes

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Feminista has completed her goal of reading 200 books in 2013!
hide

Exquisite (Exquisite, #1)

Exquisite (Exquisite, #1) - Ella Frank I was so disappointed with this book. I liked it a lot at the beginning, but the end killed it for me.What I don't understand is why authors have to make their heroes all player-boy rakish, but the heroines must be celibate/virginal because God forbid, we don't want loose women. This particular heroine has been celibate for years. It's romantic that the heroine breaks her celibacy for him, but why can't he do the same? It is NOT romantic to be the 34th (or god knows what the less exaggerated number is) girl of the YEAR! Yes ladies and gentlemen, we have a true player here. Bravo! Let's give him the hero of the year award. Because we all want men who sleep around, just because they are lonely. Or what was the age old excuse? Oh right, men have needs! Excuse me while I barf. But many several someones have decided that while it is romantic for the heroine to abstain, it is romantic for the hero not to abstain and then meet the heroine and decide to leave a life of promiscuousness for her. Yup, no double standards at all.I could have swallowed that bitter pill down if only because it is hard to find romance books whose men aren't promiscuous. But then at the end, because he feels betrayed, he feels it necessary to throw himself at the nearest, most convenient, interested girl? How many books have we read, where the hero has betrayed/deceived/lied to the heroine, and the heroine has gone off and decided to seek comfort in someone else? NONE that I have read. HOW hypocritical have novels become? It is so damn frustrating. Oh but wait, it's okay, he doesn't really sleep with her, because Lena comes and puts a stop to it. Yeah, that's real sweet, not having the self control to stop himself. We don't even know what happens after that, for the months that he goes to bars and grinds with available women. Yes, I can see how much he loves her. It's so self-destructive. Cry me a river.If the tables were turned around, I am willing to bet people would be commenting on how the heroine doesn't deserve the hero, because loving heroines don't grind with strangers at a bar, no, they go home, like the good little girls that they are, eat ice-cream and remain celibate until their heroes grovel enough.The most disappointing bit is that I could have loved this book. Nevertheless, if players are your choice of heroes, go for it. Mason is better than most of the promiscuous heroes out there.