feminista

Feminista

Hi everyone! I used to be a former Goodreads lover. Who has decided to move to BookLikes due to the recent changes to the GR site: that is, the decision of the management to delete reviews that talk about bad author behaviour.

It is important that we know of bad author behaviour and actions. We buy their books. I want to know whether Author A has decided to harass Reviewer A or encouraged fans to stalk Reviewer B.

I want to know this, the same way I wanted to know that a well known sporting good company had been using child labour in the production of some of its products. The same way the WHOLE WORLD wanted to know.

It is irrelevant that the author writes well, or that the said sporting good company produces good quality sporting goods. Our ethics and morals MATTER!

Now to discuss my reading habits:

I am very picky when it comes to books. I am a feminist and I think that shows in my reading list.

There are many things that bug me to death. But I'll always make an exception if the boy-girl standard is reversed. Dear world, that is MY double standard. I respect and champion authors who have the guts to do something different.

Firstly, I hate infidelity in novels.

Secondly, I hate it when the heroine is a virgin and the guy is an expert and skilled lover. I hate it when the heroine, for fated reasons, saves herself for someone who has been sowing his oats. It's not only overdone, old-fashioned and pathetic, but it also grosses me out like he is violating something so sacrosanct.

Thirdly, I might enjoy the occasional alpha-hero tendencies, but my true love lies with beta-heroes. Guys who are loving and sweet. Who don't feel the need to push around their women to make themselves feel more manly.

Feminista's bookshelf: read

Death, and the Girl He Loves
tagged: ya-and-new-adult and urban-fantasy
The Loneliest Alpha
Hard to Handle
2 of 5 stars
Rating: 2 out of 5. Sadie Howard is a serial dater who never goes out with a guy on more than one date, but then sometimes she breaks her rules... Aiden Downey found out that his mother was dying and even though he was in a relationship...
tagged: contemporary-romance and arc
Mine to Hold
3 of 5 stars
Rating: 3 out of 5. Claire Kramer from Mine to Keep has been a victim of an obsessed lover in the past. It is also a past that she can’t seem to get away from. Noah York, from the previous books, is Trace’s friend. He was a part of those...
tagged: arc and romantic-suspense
The Care and Feeding of Stray Vampires
Rating: 3.5 out of 5.
Alpha Instinct
3 of 5 stars
Rating: 3 out of 5. I have been wanting to read this book for ages. But I had the wrong idea in mind. I thought it was an Urban Fantasy novel. Probably because of the cover of a female. But it is a paranormal romance. As far as parano...
Never Love a Cowboy
tagged: historical-romance

goodreads.com

Feminista's quotes

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Feminista has completed her goal of reading 200 books in 2013!
hide

Caged Warrior (Dragon Kings)

Caged Warrior - Lindsey Piper Rating: 4 out of 5.I am a hero-centric reader. But in this novel, all four whole stars were given because of the heroine, the plot and the setting only. I’ll come to the hero later.In this modern world, there is a different race of people called the Dragon Kings. Humans don’t really know about them, except a group of humans that do know about them, use their knowledge to force the Dragon Kings into cage matches.Audrey was exiled from her clan for marrying a human. But when her union with the human produced the first natural born Dragon King, Audrey and her family is targeted. Her husband killed, Audrey and her son are taken to the labs, and from there she is taken to the cages. Audrey is definitely one of a kind. A mother turned warrior. She fights for the only thing worth living for, her son. I can’t express in words how much I love the setting of this novel and this heroine. I loved how we got to see more of Silence and Hark, and their familiar one-sided banter.Lastly, there is the hero. I must warn you though, if you like Gamma Heroes, you will love this guy. But it just wasn’t my cup of tea. Without giving much away, I shall describe Leto.Leto was misguided at first. But as I progressed through the novel, words like selfish, immoral wouldn’t even begin to describe him. What he does is unconscionable. There is no other word for it. He is so driven, so blind by his need to win for his family, no matter what the price, that he makes excuses for his actions and behaviours. That everything worked out at the end is immaterial. That he wasn’t the one who ultimately did those things to her is immaterial, when he has done little to stop it, and when he can fix it, he refuses to do anything, justifying himself with whatever means necessary.That he holds her bruised, battered body sickens me. Because he does nothing, when he can, to stop it, but only when it goes too far, does he attempt to do something.So no, I wasn’t really impressed with the hero, but the hero’s part in it was overshadowed by the strong heroine and the beautiful setting. So do I recommend this book?Most definitely.ARC Courtesy of Edelweiss and PocketStar