feminista

Feminista

Hi everyone! I used to be a former Goodreads lover. Who has decided to move to BookLikes due to the recent changes to the GR site: that is, the decision of the management to delete reviews that talk about bad author behaviour.

It is important that we know of bad author behaviour and actions. We buy their books. I want to know whether Author A has decided to harass Reviewer A or encouraged fans to stalk Reviewer B.

I want to know this, the same way I wanted to know that a well known sporting good company had been using child labour in the production of some of its products. The same way the WHOLE WORLD wanted to know.

It is irrelevant that the author writes well, or that the said sporting good company produces good quality sporting goods. Our ethics and morals MATTER!

Now to discuss my reading habits:

I am very picky when it comes to books. I am a feminist and I think that shows in my reading list.

There are many things that bug me to death. But I'll always make an exception if the boy-girl standard is reversed. Dear world, that is MY double standard. I respect and champion authors who have the guts to do something different.

Firstly, I hate infidelity in novels.

Secondly, I hate it when the heroine is a virgin and the guy is an expert and skilled lover. I hate it when the heroine, for fated reasons, saves herself for someone who has been sowing his oats. It's not only overdone, old-fashioned and pathetic, but it also grosses me out like he is violating something so sacrosanct.

Thirdly, I might enjoy the occasional alpha-hero tendencies, but my true love lies with beta-heroes. Guys who are loving and sweet. Who don't feel the need to push around their women to make themselves feel more manly.

Feminista's bookshelf: read

Death, and the Girl He Loves
tagged: ya-and-new-adult and urban-fantasy
The Loneliest Alpha
Hard to Handle
2 of 5 stars
Rating: 2 out of 5. Sadie Howard is a serial dater who never goes out with a guy on more than one date, but then sometimes she breaks her rules... Aiden Downey found out that his mother was dying and even though he was in a relationship...
tagged: contemporary-romance and arc
Mine to Hold
3 of 5 stars
Rating: 3 out of 5. Claire Kramer from Mine to Keep has been a victim of an obsessed lover in the past. It is also a past that she can’t seem to get away from. Noah York, from the previous books, is Trace’s friend. He was a part of those...
tagged: arc and romantic-suspense
The Care and Feeding of Stray Vampires
Rating: 3.5 out of 5.
Alpha Instinct
3 of 5 stars
Rating: 3 out of 5. I have been wanting to read this book for ages. But I had the wrong idea in mind. I thought it was an Urban Fantasy novel. Probably because of the cover of a female. But it is a paranormal romance. As far as parano...
Never Love a Cowboy
tagged: historical-romance

goodreads.com

Feminista's quotes

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Feminista has completed her goal of reading 200 books in 2013!
hide

Rough Diamond

Rough Diamond - Kathryn Ledson Rating: 2 out of 5.Erica Jewell has a lot in common with Stephanie Plum. The end of her marriage and a low bank balance was a big motivator for Erica. These were just the marked similarities in the beginning. Another idea that I didn’t warm up to was how easily Erica allowed a bullet-wounded stranger into her house when she realised that the police were searching for him. I mean there were police crawling all over her street and helicopters searching for this man and she is like, yeah why not, I am a nice person and this poor guy is hurt so why not open my doors to a wanted man. It was a foolish decision and it precluded me from connecting with her. But she doesn’t just do this once, she does it again when he calls her and asks her to pick up something for $10,000. By this time, I found her not only foolish, but lacking morals. So she goes, and guess what she picks up? A gun. Ladies and gentlemen, she doesn’t call the police and let them handle things, although she is guilty for co-conspiring and they rightly ought to have arrested her too, but she picks it up and quickly hides it in a bag and takes it home. Added to this was the rumour that the fertiliser that was stolen on the night she hid the stranger in her house, was something that could be used and was probably being used in terrorist activities. In the end, it doesn’t matter if the guy wasn’t a terrorist or if he was wrongly accused, prima facie, he was shot, his hair colour was obviously dyed as a disguise, his activities were suspicious and you don’t even know him! You do not just help a guy who could be a part of a terrorist organisation and hope for the best. She barely asks any questions relating to his activity and what he was doing there and why and even if she does, she doesn’t get a proper answer. And this is just 36 pages into the book.There were many instances where I found Erica to be a push over… For example where she, without much argument, agrees to the ‘stranger’s’ demands or when her mother invites the stranger (Jack Jones) over for dinner or when she invites herself over to Jack’s house, even though she doesn’t want him over, or when her ex, later on, asks to stay with her in the house for a couple of nights, she lets him and so on. And then there was another part where the police wants her to call them if she sees her ex. She sees him, but does she call the police? Nope. She doesn’t even have a reason for not calling them. When Jack asks her why she didn’t call him she goes “I don’t know. I...”???? I just don’t get it. Was she feeling lazy? Could she not have picked up a phone and dialled a number or was that too difficult for her. Because as far as I could see, there was no love lost between her and her ex, especially with him maliciously flaunting his blonde girlfriend. This happened not once but twice and the second time when she lets him stay in the house for two nights, I was happy when he left with all her money and credit cards, she needed to learn a lesson or maybe many lessons. Then Jack rightly asks her why she hasn’t divorced him, especially now when it seems that her ex was related to some suspicious activities and she doesn’t have an answer! She doesn’t have an answer for anything, why didn’t you call the police, oh I don’t know, why haven’t you divorced your ex, oh I don’t know? The only person I liked was Lucy. She was the only level-headed, rational character. She was head-strong and had her ethics and morals straight. Although she couldn’t influence her friend’s decisions, she at least tried. ARC courtesy of NetGalley and Penguin Australia.